6.0673 Review: Crisis in and Visions of E-Publishing (1/141)

Elaine Brennan (EDITORS@BROWNVM.BITNET)
Thu, 15 Apr 1993 14:40:56 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 6, No. 0673. Thursday, 15 Apr 1993.

Date: Wed, 14 Apr 93 21:05:13 EDT
From: mccarty@epas.utoronto.ca (W. McCarty)
Subject: publishing: crisis and visions

Dear Colleagues:

The following I pass on to you from the Bryn Mawr Classical Review (BMCR),
which (for what it's worth) is my favourite example of an intelligent
application of electronic publishing. Since my days with Humanist I
have been keenly interested in the potential of the medium, and more
often than not disappointed in the unimaginative, imitative ways it is
so often used. I've spoken at conferences specifically organized to
address the crisis in academic publishing and discovered at first hand
how difficult it is for people to understand that disaster is not to
be averted by using the medium as if it were merely a cheaper and
faster means of doing what we have always done. Humanist and other
such groups have from time to time manifested the potential of the
medium do to new, interesting, hopeful, and constructive things; so
has BMCR, and so will the American Philological Association shortly,
by publishing online papers accepted by its journal (TAPA). There are
additional examples I know less well. Jim O'Donnell (author of this
review and co-editor of BMCR) and Ann Okerson (editor of the first
book mentioned here) I happen to know are deeply involved in the
hopeful and interesting aspects of e-publishing. I can therefore
heartily recommend the following to you because it does more than
descry, accurately, the signs of the times.

Willard McCarty