6.0618 Rs: Constructions; Bulls; Proverbia Ancipitia (3/77)

Elaine Brennan (EDITORS@BROWNVM.BITNET)
Thu, 25 Mar 1993 17:25:59 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 6, No. 0618. Thursday, 25 Mar 1993.

(1) Date: Wed, 24 Mar 93 13:00:46 GMT (20 lines)
From: frsfwl <F.W.Langley@frd.hull.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: 6.0614 Rs: Illogical/negative expressions

(2) Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1993 10:32:24 +0800 (36 lines)
From: bwillis@uniwa.uwa.edu.au
Subject: Illogical constructions

(3) Date: Thu, 25 Mar 93 09:45:42 CST (21 lines)
From: "James Marchand" <marchand@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>
Subject: proverbia ancipitia

Date: Wed, 24 Mar 93 13:00:46 GMT
From: frsfwl <F.W.Langley@frd.hull.ac.uk>

The English "Much good may it do you!" (which I've never heard used other
than sarcastically) is paralleled by the French "Grand bien vous fasse!",
which equally means the opposite of what it says.

As Alan Core says, French illustrates very clearly how a "positive" word
takes on a negative connotation. Apart from "pas", there were in Old
French a number of others used to emphasise the negative "ne", which could
stand perfectly well alone: "point", "mie" and "goutte", all of which
still survive as independent nouns (and, of course, "ne...point" is still
used as a negative). The process has gone so far that in spoken French the
"true" negative "pas" is frequently omitted: "je vois pas", "je vois rien".

The word "rien" preserved its true meaning ("thing") throughout the Old
French period, and has not entirely lost it: "mettez un rien d'ail dans
votre sauce", meaning "a hint", "a touch". What has changed, is that
"rien" has become a masculine noun, whereas in Old French it was feminine.