6.0550 Rs: Year 0 (3/71)

Elaine Brennan (EDITORS@BROWNVM.BITNET)
Tue, 23 Feb 1993 14:36:17 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 6, No. 0550. Tuesday, 23 Feb 1993.

(1) Date: 22 Feb 1993 13:51:16 -0500 (EST) (23 lines)
From: 00hfstahlke@BSUVAX1.BITNET
Subject: Re: 6.0542 Qs: Latin; Netnews; French Lists; Year 0 (5/90)

(2) Date: Tue, 23 Feb 93 10:13:09 CST (34 lines)
From: stan kulikowski ii <STANKULI@UWF>
Subject: no year 0

(3) Date: 22 Feb 1993 14:50:54 -0700 (MST) (14 lines)
From: OCRAMER@CCNODE.Colorado.EDU

Date: 22 Feb 1993 13:51:16 -0500 (EST)
From: 00hfstahlke@BSUVAX1.BITNET

> Can anyone tell me whether there is a definitive statement or
>at least a set of "tendencies" regarding what Christian sects in the U.S.,
>Canada, France & Germany regard as year "0"? Is it commonly associated with
>the birth of Jesus or the death of Jesus? My American & Canadian students
>in French class seem somewhat divided on the subject; the majority claims
>claim the latter.

Without getting into a lot of arcana, the year of Jesus' birth is
generally agreed to have been between 6 BCE and 4 BCE to reconcile the
historical references. The year "0" in a BC/AD scheme corresponds to
what used to be thought of as the year of Jesus' birth. The year of
Jesus' death is, of course, equally problematical and was probably
before 30 CE. I have never heard it suggested that that might have
been the year "0", and I suspect your students' uncertainty reflects
the same sort of cultural ignorance I ran into one day when I heard
some students arguing whether 1776 was in the 17th or 18th century.

Herb Stahlke
Ball State University