6.0504 Qs: Student Computers; Teaching; E-Mail Degrees (3/72)

Elaine Brennan (EDITORS@BROWNVM.BITNET)
Sun, 14 Feb 1993 15:06:12 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 6, No. 0504. Sunday, 14 Feb 1993.

(1) Date: Fri, 12 Feb 93 14:02:13 GMT (14 lines)
From: FRI001@IBM.SOUTHAMPTON.AC.UK
Subject: Student Computers

(2) Date: 13 Feb 1993 22:06:05 -0600 (CST) (35 lines)
From: CUINB1@Jetson.UH.EDU
Subject: Technology and Humanities

(3) Date: 14 Feb 93 19:05:40 JST (Sun) (23 lines)
From: davidg@aegis.or.jp (Dave McLane)
Subject: (Degree) programs by email

Date: Fri, 12 Feb 93 14:02:13 GMT
From: FRI001@IBM.SOUTHAMPTON.AC.UK

Some of non-British Humanists may be aware of the crisis facing Higher
Education funding in Britain (government funding for `marginal' Arts
and Humanities students is being reduced by 30%, for example). One
immediate consequence is a cutback in our already overstretched
computer provision for students (at the moment one workstation for
every 30, and getting worse).
It is now being suggested that all students be required to equip
themselves with a wordprocessor/PC/Mac *at their own expense*. I think
I remember a similar scheme having been tried in the States (at Brown?).
What happened?