6.0414 HumComputng: Programming or Cybernetic Devilry? (2/122)

Elaine Brennan (EDITORS@BROWNVM.BITNET)
Tue, 15 Dec 1992 00:03:18 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 6, No. 0414. Tuesday, 15 Dec 1992.

(1) Date: Sat, 12 Dec 92 08:45:12 CST (37 lines)
From: "Eric Johnson DSU, Madison, SD 57042" <ERIC@SDNET>
Subject: Prospects for computing humanists

(2) Date: Fri, 11 Dec 1992 22:59:59 -0500 (85 lines)
From: mccarty@epas.utoronto.ca (W. McCarty)
Subject: cybernetic devilry

Date: Sat, 12 Dec 92 08:45:12 CST
From: "Eric Johnson DSU, Madison, SD 57042" <ERIC@SDNET>

Stephen Clausing and others made some excellent points about the
lack of job prospects for humanists with a background in computing.

There is another side of the issue of humanities computing that I see
as the Dean of a College of Liberal Arts.

At Dakota State University, our mission is to use computers throughout
the curriculum. Art courses cover computer graphics; English students
learn to write with computers; they use computers for the analysis of
literature. English majors are required to learn to program (in
SNOBOL4 or in Icon). Students in social science use computers for
simulations. There is a class for Health-PE majors to learn to write
programs for their applications.

When we need to hire faculty, it is *very* difficult to find people
with a sound subject background and anything more than superficial
knowledge of computing. If we advertise for an Assistant Professor
of English, we will receive 60 or 80 or 100 applications, but only
two or three will know more about computing than word processing, and
perhaps only one will be able to program.

The situation is starting to change (and it will change), but
if it is true that a humanities graduate finds it difficult to locate
a position where an understanding of computing can be put to use, it
is also true that it is difficult for a university to hire a Ph.D. or
M.F.A. in the humanities with significant computer knowledge.

-- Eric Johnson
ERIC@SDNET.BITNET
johnsone@dsuvax.dsu.edu
Dean, College of Liberal Arts