6.0288 Rs: Politics, Cheney, and the NEH (4/62)

Sun, 11 Oct 1992 21:53:45 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 6, No. 0288. Sunday, 11 Oct 1992.

(1) Date: Wed, 07 Oct 92 17:05:30 EDT (22 lines)
From: Stephen Clausing <SCLAUS@YALEVM>
Subject: politics in the classroom

(2) Date: 07 Oct 1992 18:22:53 -0600 (MDT) (9 lines)
From: OCRAMER@CCNODE.Colorado.EDU
Subject: Re: 6.0281 Politics and the NEH (5/97)

(3) Date: Thu, 8 Oct 92 00:06:15 GMT (13 lines)
From: "C. David Frankel" <D7BAIAD@CFRVM>
Subject: 6.0281 Politics and the NEH (5/97)

(4) Date: Thu, 08 Oct 92 16:46:41 EDT (18 lines)
From: Dennis Dolasinski <NEHOPA@GWUVM>
Subject: Lynne Cheney's report

Date: Wed, 07 Oct 92 17:05:30 EDT
From: Stephen Clausing <SCLAUS@YALEVM>

I haven't read the Cheney report but I would probably agree with her if I did.
There is such as thing as politically biased teaching. When I was a graduate
student in Wisconsin, a very Marxist kind of place at the time, I was told
that objectivity was a bourgeois concept used to deny Marxist thinkers the
right to express their opinion. In essence, the Marxists said that no one is
objective therefore I can foist my political views on anybody since in effect
it is impossible not to do this. A neat argument, but it justifies any
doctrine including sloppy scholarship. Frankly, I thought this idea died with
with Berlin wall, but maybe not. The real question is whether politics is
appropriate to the course material and whether it is presented in a reasonably
unbiased manner in a open atmosphere conducive to contrary views. This is not
an absolute, it is a goal, and it is a difficult goal to achieve. I offer
this challenge to all teachers: if you asked your students at the end of the
semester which candidate you voted for on Nov. 3, could they give you the
correct answer? If so, how do they know this? Was it absolutely necessary
for them to know this? Does the course description state that the class will
be about 18th century rationalist thought and your political views? I hope this
is what Cheney is saying, because it needs to be said.