6.0283 Survey on Computer-Assisted Writing Classes (1/56)

Wed, 7 Oct 1992 15:45:57 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 6, No. 0283. Wednesday, 7 Oct 1992.

Date: Wed, 07 Oct 92 02:26:46 EDT
From: Jim Fletcher <ENGJTF@NCSUVM>
Subject: TO TEACHERS OF COMPUTER-ASSISTED WRITING CLASSES

If you now teach, or have ever taught, a computer-assisted writing
class, please help me with my research on the "History of Computer-
assisted Classrooms in the Service of College Freshman Writing
Courses." Feel free to expand--at length if you wish--on any of your
answers. I will share my findings with anyone who is interested.

<<* SURVEY QUESTIONS *>>

1) Does your school have a dedicated computer-assisted writing
classroom?

2) When was the classroom established?

3) Do your computer-assisted writing classes meet exclusively in
the dedicated computer classroom? If not, how often DO you meet
in the computer classroom (1 of 3 periods; 2 of 3; 3 of 5;
1 of 5; etc.)?

4) Do you know what percentage of freshman English students are
enrolled in your computer sections? If so, what is that
percentage?

5) Who teaches the courses in your computer classroom: professors,
lecturers, graduate student teaching assistants, anyone you can
persuade? (Or does your department consider this a status
position, with teachers vying for a computer section?)

6) What software do you use? Do all teachers of computer-assisted
writing classes at your institution use the same software? If
not, what other programs are used?

7) Is the classroom networked?

8) What percentage of your time do you spend in class teaching
computer know-how to your students? Do you feel that this is
time well invested considering that this is, after all, an
English course?

9) Are students chosen at random for these sections or may they
enroll specifically for computer-assisted writing sections?

10) Would you be willing to answer a more in-depth survey or be
interviewed by phone about your answers?
<<* END OF SURVEY *>>

If you have any questions--or more information--you may contact
me at: ENGJTF@NCSUVM.CC.NCSU.EDU or ENGJTF@NCSUVM.BITNET.
Feel free to add statements or explanations regarding any of the
above questions. Also please pass this survey along to other
interested persons or discussion groups (NOTE! Cross-posted to:
IPCT-L, Humanist, Megabyte U, Purtopoi). Thank you for your time
and energy in completing this questionnaire.

Jim Fletcher, North Carolina State University