6.0265 Qs: Old French; Rome etc.; 1st ed. OED online (3/66)

Sat, 3 Oct 1992 11:19:43 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 6, No. 0265. Saturday, 3 Oct 1992.

(1) Date: Thu, 1 Oct 1992 10:54 EST (26 lines)
From: PFERRIBY@DREW.BITNET
Subject: Query

(2) Date: Thu, 1 Oct 92 21:45:25 -0500 (21 lines)
From: kevink@emx.cc.utexas.edu
Subject: Rome, imperialism, Alexander,4ad music

(3) Date: Fri, 2 Oct 92 14:40 EDT (19 lines)
From: HUTCHERE@snypotva.bitnet
Subject: "oed query"

Date: Thu, 1 Oct 1992 10:54 EST
From: PFERRIBY@DREW.BITNET

The Reformation Research seminar at Princeton Theological Seminary,
taught by Prof. Jane Dempsey Douglass, is reading several sermons and
selections from commentaries by Jean Calvin in the French original. While
every seminar participant reads French adequately, no one has specialized in
sixteenth-century French. Beyond obvious orthographical and semantic shifts
(for which Robert is adequate for our modest needs), might anyone suggest a
helpful text or lexicon which would summarize or list significant French
usages and meanings in this time period? My initial searches have resulted
only in texts intended for Romance linguists --I have the sneaking feeling that
I'm missing something obvious. Merci beaucoup!

Gavin Ferriby "Are you not," a Rugby master
Librarian/Cataloguer, Drew University had asked [future Archbishop
Ph.D. student, Dept. of Church History William Temple] in discussing
Princeton Theological Seminary one of his [schoolboy] essays,
(201) 408-3671 "a little out of your depth
pferriby@drew.drew.edu here?" "Perhaps, Sir," was the
confident reply, "but I can
swim."

For the errors of fact, lapses of judgement, and biases above I bear sole
responsibility, which I will duck as soon as possible.