6.0229 Computers and Writing: Practicalities and CFP (2/101)

Sun, 13 Sep 1992 21:35:35 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 6, No. 0229. Sunday, 13 Sep 1992.

(1) Date: Mon, 31 Aug 92 17:22:54 EDT (32 lines)
From: tom@sailfish.cse.fau.edu (Tom Horton)
Subject: wanted: handout on basics of scholarly writing

(2) Date: Thu, 10 Sep 92 13:03:54 EDT (69 lines)
From: Computers.and.Writing@um.cc.umich.edu

Date: Mon, 31 Aug 92 17:22:54 EDT
From: tom@sailfish.cse.fau.edu (Tom Horton)

I teach in a Computer Science and Engineering department, and in the
last few terms I have become more and more aware of how many of our
students do not know the basics of quotations, citations, plagiarism
and using reference lists in scholarly writing. (This is especially
true of our graduate students who come to us with technical degrees
from other countries, such as India or China.)

I started to write a short handout on this topic (say, two pages or
so?) based on Mary-Claire van Leunen's book *A Handbook for Scholars*
(my favorite reference on this), but it occurred to me that perhaps
someone else out there already has such a document that they'd be
willing to let me adapt. (Or even plagiarize!). Again, my students
are not humanities majors, so I really do need something that might
seem pretty basic to a humanities scholar or a composition teacher.

Let me know if you have something I can have. Thanks!
Tom

PS I'm really not trying to start a discussion on why students in
science or engineering ought to take more writing courses. I'd tend
to agree. Unfortunately, it seems unlikely that this will change
here, especially for our students at the graduate level.

Dr. Thomas B. Horton, Assistant Professor
Dept. of Computer Science and Engineering, Florida Atlantic University
Boca Raton, FL 33431 USA Phone: 407/367-2674 FAX: 407/367-2800
Internet: tom@cse.fau.edu Bitnet: HortonT@fauvax
(2) --------------------------------------------------------------81----
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 92 13:03:54 EDT
From: Computers.and.Writing@um.cc.umich.edu

Here is the call for papers for the 1993 Computers and Writing Conference.
Please post a copy of this call in your departmental offices and forward
it to interested colleagues or to other lists where you feel subscribers
might be interested in this conference. Ann Arbor is lovely in the spring!

C A L L F O R P A P E R S

NINTH CONFERENCE ON COMPUTERS AND WRITING

The University of Michigan
Ann Arbor, Michigan
United States of America
May 20-23, 1993

Conference Theme:

Lessons from the Past, Learning for the Future

Conference chairs: Emily Jessup, Susanmarie Harrington, William
Condon, Wayne Butler

Poised as we are at the end of the first decade of using computers in
writing classes, 1993 seems a good time to pause and reflect upon
what we have discovered during the last ten years and to look
forward to the next ten. The program chairs invite interested parties
to propose papers, sessions, or workshops. We are particularly
interested in proposals exploring one or more of the following
themes:

--Computers, Writing, and the K-12 classroom
--Getting started with computers and writing instruction
--Applications of hypertext in the teaching of writing
--Multimedia and writing instruction
--Computers and the reading-writing connection
--Explorations of the virtual classroom
--Uses of computers in promoting collaborations:
--among students
--across disciplines
--over long distances
--The effects of computers:
--on the learning process
--on the interactions among students and teachers
--Changing sociopolitical contexts for computer use

Proposals: Send three copies of a two-page (double-spaced) abstract
for a paper, panel, or workshop. Include: name(s), affiliation(s),
address(es), telephone number(s) and, if possible, e-mail address(es)
for all partcipants. Also include audiovisual or other equipment
needs (including computers, projection, etc).

Deadline: All proposals must be postmarked by November 1, 1992.
Notification of acceptance will be mailed by January 1993.

Mail proposals to:
Computers and Writing Conference
English Composition Board
1025 Angell Hall