6.0211 Oxford Text Archives File Lists (2/51)

Mon, 24 Aug 1992 16:04:25 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 6, No. 0211. Monday, 24 Aug 1992.

(1) Date: Fri, 14 Aug 1992 10:51:29 +0100 (BST) (35 lines)
From: Oxford Text Archive <archive@ox.ac.uk>
Subject: Egg-on-tie time from the OTA

(2) Date: Mon, 24 Aug 92 15:54:40 EDT (16 lines)
From: Elaine M Brennan <ELAINE@BROWNVM>
Subject: OTA Files

Date: Fri, 14 Aug 1992 10:51:29 +0100 (BST)
From: Oxford Text Archive <archive@ox.ac.uk>

Sir and Madam,

May I presume on the hospitality of your columns once more to make a
correction to the announcement concerning FTP access to the Oxford Text
Archive which you were kind enough to distribute a day or so ago?

In the instructions specified there, I suggested that the account name
"FTP" should be specified. Several people have since pointed out that for
at least one popular type of computer system, this is NOT synonymous
with the account name "ftp". For reasons which I do not claim to
understand, still less to defend, this means that if you attempt the
method outlined in my note from a computer whose operating system is *not* a
brand-name of AT&T, then you can type "FTP" "ftp" or even "fTp" and access
will be granted you. If however, your machine runs under the regime
ordained by Kernighan, Ritchie et al. you must type "ftp" *AND SPELL IT
RIGHT* i.e. in lower-case.

I am currently trying to persuade people here that if they allow
'anonymous' as one valid synonym for 'ftp', then they should also allow
'FTP' as another, but don't expect to succeed.

Apologies to anyone inconvenienced by this incompetence on my part. The
only defence I can offer is that I did (of course) test out the method
described, and from a variety of machines worldwide -- but not alas from a
Un*X system! There's a moral there, somewhere.

Many thanks to those who reported the error so speedily!

Lou Burnard
Oxford Text Archive