6.0191 Rs: Pronouns, Esperanto, 'guys' (3/91)

Wed, 12 Aug 1992 16:54:04 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 6, No. 0191. Wednesday, 12 Aug 1992.

(1) Date: Thu, 06 Aug 92 12:03:56 IST (32 lines)
From: "David M. Schaps" <F21004@BARILVM>
Subject: Re: 6.0179 Rs: TextCrit Challenge; Foucault; Guys

(2) Date: Fri, 7 Aug 92 11:32:03 CST (39 lines)
From: (Dennis Baron) <baron@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>
Subject: you guys

(3) Date: Tue, 4 Aug 1992 15:04 GMT +0100 (20 lines)
From: J%org Knappen <KNAPPEN@VKPMZD.KPH.Uni-Mainz.de>

Date: Thu, 06 Aug 92 12:03:56 IST
From: "David M. Schaps" <F21004@BARILVM>
Subject: Re: 6.0179 Rs: TextCrit Challenge; Foucault; Guys (3/64)

On George Lang's search for an "egalitarian" Indo-European language: I
cannot help, but I can tell him that the use of pronouns to distinguish
status is not a peculiarly I-E phenomenon. Hebrew uses the third person
singular when speaking to a superior ("My master asked his servant" for
"you asked me"), and the phenomenon still has reflexes in modern Hebrew
(where addresses are routinely written with a prefix on them that means
"to the honor of" -- producing such bizarreries as "to the honor of
Smash-Bang Auto Wrecks"). Japanese (as I learn not from personal
acquaintance but from John Toland's _The Rising Sun_) has a special
first-person pronoun that is used only by the Emperor. And of course,
there is the royal plural ("We, Dmitri Ivanovitch," as the false
Dmitri introduces himself in _Boris Godunov_) and the editorial plural
(the editor and his tapeworm, according to Mark Twain). This last is
the only one that I think is truly intended to deceive: the editor
wishes to project his opinions as being shared by many others (local
newspapers regularly have headlines purporting to give the reaction
of "the community" to this or that development; no poll-taking is
ever considered necessary). This last phenomenon is common in
political speechmaking of all stripes ("We are here today to
proclaim ...").
The distinctions of pronouns are not necessarily status
distinctions; l'homme et sa femme address each other as tu, and
address "outsiders" of the same status as vous. But even if we
are to accept the "status" definition, I should think that the
first question is whether there has ever been a status-free society
of any significant size that did not develop status distinctions
with the passage of time? And if every society recognizes status
distinctions, why should its language not recognize them?