6.0130 Rs: Index (2/70)

Mon, 13 Jul 1992 16:46:09 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 6, No. 0130. Monday, 13 Jul 1992.

(1) Date: Fri, 10 Jul 92 18:43:12 CST (29 lines)
From: (James Marchand) <marchand@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>
Subject: index

(2) Date: 10 Jul 92 16:46:40 EST (41 lines)
From: James O'Donnell <JODONNEL@PENNSAS.UPENN.EDU>
Subject: 6.0126

Date: Fri, 10 Jul 92 18:43:12 CST
From: (James Marchand) <marchand@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>

First, let me be frank. You are not going to find an answer to this ques-
tion. People began organizing and indexing as soon as they began collecting.
layout, etc., all indexing devices. So, it's going to depend on what you
mean by index. A very nice, well-written article on twelfth-century de-
vices, but with footnotes leading further back:
Richard H. Rouse and Mary A. Rouse, "_Statim invenire_: Schools, Preachers,
and New Attitudes to the Page," _Renaissance and Renewal in the Twelfth
Century_, ed. Robert L. Benson and Giles Constable, with Carol D. Lanham
(UCLA Center for Medieval and Renaissance Studies, 1982), 201-228.

A grand list of Greek indices (mostly modern): Harald and Blenda Riesen-
feld, Repertorium lexicographicum Graecum (Stockholm: Almqvist & Wiksell,
1954).

Ditto for Latin: Henri Quellet, Bibliographia indicum, lexicorum et con-
cordantiarum auctorum Latinorum. Universite de Neuchatel. Faculte des
Lettres, 1980.

Searchability or finding devices might be better concepts to use. It is
interesting how alphabetization developed slowly as a finding and organ-
izing device, cf. Lloyd W. Daly, Contributions to a History of Alphabeti-
zation in Antiquity and the Middle Ages. Collection Latomus 90 (Brussels,
1967). Page layout is a great finding device used quite early.
Jim Marchand