6.0117 Qs: British Novels; Emoticons; Mary Shelley (3/67)

Mon, 6 Jul 1992 20:36:18 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 6, No. 0117. Monday, 6 Jul 1992.

(1) Date: Sat, 4 Jul 92 17:39 BST (37 lines)
From: Lou Burnard <LOU@vax.oxford.ac.uk>
Subject: Nominations requested

(2) Date: Fri, 03 Jul 92 00:12:56 EDT (13 lines)
From: Julie Falsetti <JEFHC@CUNYVM>
Subject: Emoticons

(3) Date: Sat, 4 Jul 1992 18:24 EDT (17 lines)
From: "Mary Dee Harris, Language Technology"
<MDHARRIS@guvax.georgetown.edu>
Subject: Dramatization of Mary Shelley's Frankenstein

Date: Sat, 4 Jul 92 17:39 BST
From: Lou Burnard <LOU@vax.oxford.ac.uk>

A request from an entrepreneurial acquaintance prompts me to invite
nominations from Humanist readers for the top fifty Classic British
Novels, possibly to be published in a new electronic series. Think of it
as a party-game for the summer hols, if you prefer. What I would like is
your personal list of up to 50 titles first published during the period
1688-1914 which have the following characteristics:

* fictional narrative in British English

* popular and influential when first published

* re-published with reasonable frequency ever since

That part's easy. The tricky part is in the following additional
requirements:

* representative of what you consider the diversity of the genre

* canonical in some sense (or deserving to be so in your view)

Nominations should include author, title and date of first publication.
No author is allowed more than three titles.

Please reply to me before July 15th. Summary of results to appear as
soon as possible thereafter.

Thanks for your help...

Lou Burnard

lou@ox.ac.uk [internet] LOU@UK.AC.OXFORD.VAX [JANET]