6.0057 Rs: Arnold Toynbee (5.0823); Mayan Calendar (2/53)

Thu, 4 Jun 1992 16:01:39 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 6, No. 0057. Thursday, 4 Jun 1992.

(1) Date: Wed, 3 Jun 1992 14:17 +1200 (34 lines)
From: HORN_A@usp.ac.nz
Subject: Arnold Toynbee 5:0823

(2) Date: Wed, 03 Jun 92 11:37:21 ECT (19 lines)
From: Martin Raish <MRAISH@BINGVMB>
Subject: Maya calendric computations

Date: Wed, 3 Jun 1992 14:17 +1200
From: HORN_A@usp.ac.nz

As we circulate an edited hard copy of _Humanist_ each fortnight, the
text makes a slow progress through our Department. Thus, one of my
colleagues who is not on email has only just come across Phyllis
Wright's query (vol. 5. no. 0823) about Arnold Toynbee. Perhaps
someone has already contacted her directly about it, but no reply yet
seems to have been posted through _Humanist_.

Ms. Wright writes:
> I have a client who would like to know where or in what >context
Toynbee made the following statement: 'The >human race made a big
mistake in moving to monotheism'. >Is there a Toynbee scholar out
there who can offer some >help.

Pio Manoa replies:
I can't find a reference for these exact words, but the idea is definitely
voiced in _The Toynbee-Ikeda Dialogue: Man Himself Must Choose_
(1976), at about p. 300.

Andrew Horn
The Department of Literature & Language
The University of the South Pacific
G.P.O. Box 1168 email: horn_a.usp.ac.nz
Suva fax: (679) 305-053
FIJI office tel:
(679) 212-565
----
--

(2) --------------------------------------------------------------26----
Date:         Wed, 03 Jun 92 11:37:21 ECT
From:         Martin Raish <MRAISH@BINGVMB>

I have a nifty little software program that can convert Maya
Long Count dates to modern dates in a flash.  It is called
THE MAYANIST'S COMPANION, and was written by Jason Yeager.
His address is (was?  my copy is several years old)
   93356 36th Street, Lawton  MI  49065.

The program also has other fun/useful features, and for the
few dates I tried it provided accurate conversions.

-- Martin

Martin Raish
Main Library, Box 6012
State University of New York at Binghamton
Binghamton  NY  13902-6012