6.0032 Qs: Veni Sancte Spiritus; Mythology Lists (2/32)

Fri, 22 May 1992 17:27:15 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 6, No. 0032. Friday, 22 May 1992.

(1) Date: Fri, 22 May 92 9:04:50 METDST (22 lines)
From: Harry Gaylord <galiard@let.rug.nl>
Subject: Veni Sancte Spiritus

(2) Date: Fri, 22 May 92 11:27:51 EDT (10 lines)
From: RANDALL N - ENGLISH <nrandall@watserv1.uwaterloo.ca>
Subject: Mythology lists?

Date: Fri, 22 May 92 9:04:50 METDST
From: Harry Gaylord <galiard@let.rug.nl>

We have a slightly unusual request for humanist, though heaven knows it
shouldn't be. Pentecost is coming soon. At our Cathedral which serves as
the church for people from many lands and cultures, we are trying to show
recognition of that fact at the Pentecost service. To do this we want to
sing verses of Veni Sancte Spiritus in a number of different languages.
We gathered up the old missals of people to write the new version, but found
that most had pre Vatican II prose translations which didn't fit the music.
Could people send us versions of the odd verses in German, Spanish, French, and
Italian? It must be the version which is sung and not a paraphrase which
can't be.
We will be singing the even verses in Dutch. We will be including one verse
in English and one in Latin.
Of course, once this pentecostal version is assembled, we will submit it to
humanist for literary and linguistic analysis. Anyone who wants will be able
to sing it ad gloriam Dei.

Alexandra Gaylord (gaylora@let.rug.nl)
Harry Gaylord (galiard@let.rug.nl