6.0010 Query: X11 Cyrillic Fonts (1/57)

Wed, 13 May 1992 22:04:29 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 6, No. 0010. Wednesday, 13 May 1992.

Date: Wed, 13 May 92 10:29:19 +0100 (MET)
From: garof@sixcom.sixcom.it (Joe Giampapa)
Subject: Help needed with X11 Cyrillic Fonts

Perhaps some HUMANISTs on the list have had this problem, or know someone who
might help.

Goal:

To use cyrillic fonts, 10 to 14 pts. I only have cyrillic 25, 30, and 35 pt.
fonts in SNF (server normal format).

I Seek:

1. Best case: the cyrillic fonts in 10 to 14 pt. sizes; or
2. Worst case: information and possible assistance in creating the fonts that
I need.

System configuration:

I am using an Olivetti M380/XP4 PC running Interactive Unix System V 3.2,
Interactive X11R3, Motif 3.0, BDF (Bitmap Distribution Format) fonts version
2.1, "xfed" (X font editor), "bdftosnf". Existing cyrillic fonts are in 25,
30, and 35 pts. Interactive Unix BDF manual (6 pages, very terse).

The "xfed" manual claims that it is possible to edit BDF fonts. I assume that
this would include scaling as well. However, I only have the fonts in SNF
form.

1. Is there a font decompiler, of the type "snftobdf"? If so, has anyone
successfully created a new font by using "snftobdf" --> "xfed" --> "bdftosnf"?

2. I found BDF 2.1 fonts in the MIT X11R5 distribution, copied one to my
machine, and attempted to edit it using "xfed". Although the "xfed" should be
of version 2.1, it gives me a parse error. I have been unable to find "xfed"
on SCO X11R3 Motif 3.0 and with Sun X11R4. Has anyone ever successfully used
"xfed"?

3. Using "bdftosnf" on the above X11R5 version 2.1 fonts compiled without any
errors. Attempting to load the font does not produce any error messages, but
wipes-out all strings on my display.

4. Presently I am attempting to write a font from scratch, hoping to get it in
"xfed" compilable form. Has anyone done this?

As usual, the need for these fonts was expressed yesterday, with the deadline
for last week. To avoid delays, please e-mail responses, and I shall summarize
at problem completion.

Thank you.
Joe Giampapa
Olivetti SixTel