6.0006 Qs: "Steward", Ethics, Surfaces, Grad Programs (4/81)

Sun, 10 May 1992 23:50:38 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 6, No. 0006. Sunday, 10 May 1992.

(1) Date: Thu, 07 May 92 08:46:33 CDT (42 lines)
From: Charles Ess <DRU001D@SMSVMA>
Subject: "stewardship" and environment

(2) Date: Mon, 4 May 92 17:08:34 CDT (12 lines)
From: Michael Feld <feld@ccu.UManitoba.CA>
Subject: Reading list for Social Ethics

(3) Date: Wed, 6 May 1992 00:08 EST (16 lines)
From: JSCHWAR@BGSUOPIE.BITNET
Subject: Surfaces

(4) Date: Wed, 6 May 1992 15:17 EST (11 lines)
From: CHUCK TAYLOR <CTAYLOR@DESIRE.WRIGHT.EDU>
Subject: Grad Program Suggestions

Date: Thu, 07 May 92 08:46:33 CDT
From: Charles Ess <DRU001D@SMSVMA>

In a recent debate over a proposed environmental policy for our institution,
the words "steward" and "stewardship" -- as in "stewards of the environment"
-- raised several points of contention. As I see it, the objection to
such language rests on two points:

(a) "stewardship" can -- and for most of modern Western history, has --
served as justification for humanity's exploitation of, rather
than consideration for, the larger environment. Since the term
can be used so ambiguously, and in ways contrary to the intentions
of the policy, another term should be found;
(b) "stewardship" derives from the Biblical notion of "dominion" over
the natural order. While it is a point of debate in environmental
ethics whether such dominion _must_ mean, as it has in modern
history, exploitation -- a larger question is whether the
notion involved here of the relationship between the human and
the created order is overly Judeo-Christian in origin. It would
appear that Taoists, Buddhists, Shinto followers, Jains, and
others would reject such a notion as placing too great a distance
between humanity and a "disposable" nature. Still more broadly,
in an era of multiculturalism, do we want to use a notion (i.e.,
stewardship) which may "speak" only for people out of Jewish
and Christian traditions (I've never met a "Judeo-Christian"?).

I would appreciate the wisdom of HUMANIST readers on this issue: medievalists
may be able to point to a different understanding of the natural order
prior to modernity (i.e., Descartes and his "mastery and possession of
nature" motif); ethicists, theologians, religious studies folk, and anyone
else with something to contribute to this discussion are encouraged to do so.

It may be that this is a topic of sufficiently general interest to warrant
that replies be sent to HUMANIST -- but I will happily collect replies
sent directly to me and post them at a later date.

In continual befuddlement,

Charles Ess
Drury College
Springfield, MO 65802 USA