5.0847 Rs: Swahili Quote; Easter/Passover Coincidence (3/84)

Tue, 21 Apr 1992 21:11:45 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 5, No. 0847. Tuesday, 21 Apr 1992.

(1) Date: Tue, 21 Apr 92 16:29:31 +0200 (47 lines)
From: Roland Hjerppe <rhj@ida.liu.se>
Subject: Re: 5.0782 Qs: Quotes; Swahili

(2) Date: 21 Apr 1992 08:33:28 -0600 (MDT) (19 lines)
From: "Jean Pfleiderer, UMS Publications, 492-9892"
Subject: Re: 5.0845 Queries: Easter/Passover

(3) Date: Tue, 21 Apr 92 08:43 PDT (18 lines)
From: Kirshenblatt-Gimblett 213-458-9811 <ENQ8BKG@UCLAMVS.BITNET>

Date: Tue, 21 Apr 92 16:29:31 +0200
From: Roland Hjerppe <rhj@ida.liu.se>

I haven seen any repsonse since April 15, by Vanderbilt, to the
qustion by Marc Eisinger.
The original citation provided was

"Msaada wa kidini kwa mahujaji",

not muhajiji (which could be construed as: mhaji = the pilgrim, mhajiji
= the (regular) pilgrim, but usually with the pilgrimage referring to
Mecka)

My Swahili is very rusty but

msaada = help, assistance, support
wa = of
ki - = diminutive, or noun made from verb
dini = worship, religion, creed

kwa = for

ma = plural of the ma-class of nouns, or in words of Arabic origin a
formative of verbal nouns or particles
huja = want, need, necessity
-ji = terminal conveying the the notion of habitual, customary,
general action

hence
literal translation:

(The) help of religion for those who (regularly) need (it).

Slogan:
Religious help for the needy.

Roland Hjerppe
LIBLAB
Dept. of Computer and Information Science
Link|ping University
S-581 83 Linkoping
Sweden

Internet: rhj@ida.liu.se T. +46 13 281965