5.0843 Qs: Germ. E-Texts; Crash Barrier; "Ethnography" (3/64)

Sun, 19 Apr 1992 13:31:42 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 5, No. 0843. Sunday, 19 Apr 1992.

(1) Date: 17 Apr 92 22:03:16 EST (18 lines)
From: James O'Donnell <JODONNEL@PENNSAS.UPENN.EDU>
Subject: German e-texts? Other langs?

(2) Date: Fri, 17 Apr 92 16:10:19 EDT (14 lines)
From: wilm@Calvin.EDU (Mark Williams)
Subject: Crash Barrier for Mac

(3) Date: Sat, 18 Apr 1992 13:21 CST (32 lines)
From: FRAE141@UTXVMS
Subject: Locating Benjamin's Ethnography

Date: 17 Apr 92 22:03:16 EST
From: James O'Donnell <JODONNEL@PENNSAS.UPENN.EDU>

Re-habilitating my German, it occurs to me that since I spend so much time in
front of the screen, it wouldn't be especially stupid to find ways to make
lots of German words run across the screen at me. Are there (1) downloadable
or otherwise easily available bodies of German e-text ready to hand? and (2)
commercial *German* e-products, such as a CD of *Zukunftsbibliothek*, with
junky but serviceable e-texts of all the world's great books in German
translation. A subsidiary benefit of wiring the globe with this network ought
to be greater facility at locating materials in numerous foreign languages:
it's worth asking about French and Spanish and Italian, I suppose. Russian
would be lovely, but somehow I don't think they've had a lot of kopeks free
for setting up CD-ROM factories yet.

Jim O'Donnell
Classics, U. of Penn.