5.0829 Rs: Swahili; Serials; Genealogical Library (3/35)

Wed, 15 Apr 1992 19:00:45 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 5, No. 0829. Wednesday, 15 Apr 1992.

(1) Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1992 09:50 CST (14 lines)
From: CHURCHDM@VUCTRVAX
Subject: Swahili quote

(2) Date: Wed, 15 Apr 92 12:42:38 -0400 (11 lines)
From: pwright@spartan.ac.BrockU.CA (Phyllis Wright)
Subject: Re: 5.0822 Aqueduct Action Agenda for Serials Problems

(3) Date: Wed, 15 Apr 92 21:32:55 WST (10 lines)
From: rich@uniwa.uwa.edu.au (Paul Rich Education)
Subject: Re: 5.0821 Internet for Genealogical Library

Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1992 09:50 CST
From: CHURCHDM@VUCTRVAX

The Swahili inscription (Msaada wa kidini kwa muhajiji) has given
no little trouble to my native informants. Up to the last word,
it's fairly simple ... "Help (of a religious nature) for (or
to)...." But none of them recognize the last word. The first
theory was that it's a place name, but no one recognizes it as
such. The most promising subsequent theory is that is was misread
and that the actual word is "muhubiri," which means "the preacher."
Given that it was seen in Rome, that interpretation may make sense.
At any rate, that's as far as we can get with it here at
Vanderbilt.