5.0806 Rs: More on Plagiarism (3/161)

Wed, 1 Apr 1992 16:40:15 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 5, No. 0806. Wednesday, 1 Apr 1992.

(1) Date: Mon, 30 Mar 92 17:31:30 EST (81 lines)
From: Bernard.van't.Hul@um.cc.umich.edu
Subject: 5.0782 Qs: Plagiarism

(2) Date: Tue, 31 Mar 92 07:34:21 EST (18 lines)
From: Anne Erlebach <AERLEBAC@MTUS5.cts.mtu.edu>
Subject: Plagiarism

(3) Date: Wed, 01 Apr 92 16:54:21 IST (62 lines)
From: "David M. Schaps" <F21004@BARILVM>
Subject: Re: 5.0800 Rs: Plagiarism

Date: Mon, 30 Mar 92 17:31:30 EST
From: Bernard.van't.Hul@um.cc.umich.edu
Subject: 5.0782 Qs: Quotes; Dictionary; Yearbook; Plagiarism (5/72)

Subject: 5.0797 ...Plagiarism
To Dennis Baron, whose recent reflections on plagiarism
(like all of his published works on the language) were of
much interest to me:
Of course it is embarrassing to live and work in a world
where
(a) *plagiarism* is addressed by whole faculties in a doled-
out set of formulaic prescriptions and penalties, and
where
(b) the "Glatt Plagiarism Services" of M. Lenoble's
description is presumably not INTENDED as parody.

Of course I know that your own policy is not in a class with
ANY such grubby devices. But how DO you and your colleagues
*conceive of plagiarism* so as to make a humane *policy*
accessible to one another and your students?

In my own experience as Director of a Writing program
(rather like yours), what impresses me most vividly is not
merely the greater frequency of plagiarized responses to
instructors' more fatuously misguided assignments, but the
psychology of instructors' responses to suspected or alleged
offenders. The delight in DISCOVERY (of, say, a ripped-off
paragraph or page or WHOLE essay) is febrile; the rage at
the miscreant is not obviously righteous; the impulse to
retaliate suppresses the concern to teach.

In observing this psychology, I do not make light of
anyone's pain in coming to irrefutable evidence of (a given
student's) betrayal of the trust that, in teaching, is *sine
qua non*. But when my students' *plagiarism* is the gesture
of betrayal, they would themselves have been betrayed by my
recourse to imperious handout proscriptions and such Glatt-
like gimmickry of detection as M. Lenoble decribes.

If I were clear on *plagiarism*, my students would profit in
having a policy with regard to its manifestations in their
texts. Daunted as I am to think what plagiarism may "come
to" for writers, I could dole out to my students only the
short eighth one of the Ten Commandments as a policy
handout.

On that (plagiarized!) commandment itself (hardly a policy)
I would waffle, come to think -- as judges and juries must
do from one to another trial in a court of law. But their
system (unlike ours) is an adversarial one: they (unlike us)
do not pretend to converse with defendants OR to teach them;
their proper goal (unlike ours) is to reach verdicts. By
pretending to a policy and clowning my way through Glatt-
like or non-electronic detection and then unwaffling
punishment of offenders, I would confuse and alienate most
students, thus foster the cynicism out of which, with a
plagiarized piece, some of them may be tempted to respond in
kind.

I think that my question (What IS plagiarism?) is not unfair
BECAUSE unanswerable -- and that raising it yet again is
made fair by the common use of proscriptions and penalties
that imply a "known" thus "teachable" answer.
To ask the question of students -- NOT rhetorically but in
good faith -- is to discover that they take seriously as any
of their pedagogs the challenge to write honestly; and that
they discern more real complexity than many of us have
energy or imagination to acknowledge.

Afterthought about Dr. M.L. King, to whose newsmaking you
referred as a best-known "case in point": As I recall (with
geriatric haze), it was long before allegations vs. King
made the public media that a scholar (then of Ohio State
University) published a monograph in *College English* (and
later a book-length study, I think) on the enriching effect
-- on the essays, the public speeches, and (most especially)
the sermons -- of King and a long line of other theologians
and preachers among whom wholesale "borrowing" of tropes and
extended discourse was received, even celebrated practice.
(Of course I apologize for having mislaid the monograph, as
for forgetting its author's name.)