5.0804 As: Dictionary Utilities; PMC Fiction Issue (2/54)

Mon, 30 Mar 1992 20:11:27 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 5, No. 0804. Monday, 30 Mar 1992.

(1) Date: 28 Mar 92 22:52:05 EST (40 lines)
From: Ken Litkowski <71520.307@CompuServe.COM>
Subject: Dictionary Maintenance Utilities

(2) Date: Mon, 30 Mar 92 11:03:01 EST (14 lines)
From: Editors of PMC <PMC@NCSUVM>
Subject: Postmodern Culture

Date: 28 Mar 92 22:52:05 EST
From: Ken Litkowski <71520.307@CompuServe.COM>

To whom it may concern:

A year and a half ago, I put an announcement on the HUMANIST about a
set of dictionary maintenance utilities (with the assistance of Mary
Dee Harris). The following describes these utilities:

"Utilities for creating/maintaining Natural Language Processing
dictionaries - a set of PC programs for creating and maintaining
dictionaries for natural language processing, including slots for
ordinary dictionary definitions, feature and role lists, instance and
superclass links, and semantic interpretation rules. Routines to
convert dictionary into ASCII, LISP, or Prolog format. Includes sample
dictionaries, Microsoft C source code, and user documentation."

In September 1991, I started shipping version 2 of the software, named
DIMAP-2. This version includes a machine-readable dictionary--Merriam
Webster's Concise Electronic Dictionary, with utilities for converting
their entries into DIMAP-2 format, thereby making this dictionary
machine-tractable. Also included in version 2 are routines for
converting sets of definitions, and tagging text with syntactic and
semantic information (according to whatever information is available in
the machine-tractable dictionary). The price of this version is $125
for a single-user copy and $500 for an academic license.

On June 1, 1992, the price will increase to $350 for a single-user copy
and $1,000 for an academic license. Anyone that is interested may
obtain more details from me, before the price increase.

Ken Litkowski
CL Research
20239 Lea Pond Place
Gaithersburg, MD 20879