5.0791 Announcements: Paradigm 2.0; SHARP-L (2/123)

Thu, 26 Mar 1992 15:42:27 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 5, No. 0791. Thursday, 26 Mar 1992.

(1) Date: Thu, 26 Mar 1992 09:42:49 +0000 (57 lines)
From: Pierce@hf.uib.no
Subject: Paradigma 2.0

(2) Date: Mon, 23 Mar 92 13:06 EST (66 lines)
From: Patrick <PLEARY@IUBACS>
Subject: New List--SHARP-L

Date: Thu, 26 Mar 1992 09:42:49 +0000
From: Pierce@hf.uib.no

Greetings:

My colleague Espen Aarseth has now completed a new version of his conversion
program for the Macintosh, Paradigma, which I recommended to fellow humanists a
couple of years ago. The first version has been very well received, and I have
myself made constant use of it to convert Greek files in TLG format for use
with other fonts.

I am very satisfied with the new version of Paradigma. It is very easy
to use and impressively fast. I have converted files of up to three megabytes
in just about a minute and have hitherto experienced no problems whatsoever.

I append Aarseth's own brief notice about Paradigma 2.0 together with
addresses from which it can be obtained.

Sincerely,
Richard Holton Pierce
University of Bergen
Department of Classics
Bergen, NORWAY

-------------***------------

Here is the new version of Paradigma, a text (ascii) file converter and
manipulator helpful for anyone who is working on converting large text
files such as the TLG or similar, or on any files at all.

Paradigma lets you specify a number of conversion rules, such as "abc ->
xyz", and so will do the same as a word processor's "Find/replace" command,
only much faster and several conversions at once.

New features in Paradigma 2.0 include:

Up to 256 rules in a paradigm.
5-6 times faster than 1.0 (1 Mb takes ~7 seconds on a Quadra)
Import paradigms from version 1.0
"Drag and drop to" program icon
Create standalone "Paradoids" which will perform in "batch mode"
Better "interface logic" and various minor bugs fixed
Scans itself for viruses
the ability to chain and/or repeat paradigms
32 bit clean

Paradigma is free, and and the program or Paradoids derived from the
program should not be sold or bundled with commercial products.

Available by anonymous ftp from:

info-mac/util/ at sumex-aim.stanford.edu,

or by request from the author, espen.aarseth@hf.uib.no