5.0751 It Must Be Spring: Aliens and Golems (3/58)

Mon, 9 Mar 1992 19:17:21 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 5, No. 0751. Monday, 9 Mar 1992.

(1) Date: Fri, 06 Mar 92 10:30:46 GMT (15 lines)
From: stephen clark <AP01@liverpool.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: 5.0741 More Rs: Alien Sex

(2) Date: Wed, 04 Mar 92 23:46:07 EST (21 lines)
From: LHT@CORNELLA
Subject: Golem, Prometheus, Adam, Frankenstein

(3) Date: Thu, 5 Mar 1992 9:31:58 -0500 (EST) (22 lines)
From: J_CERNY@UNHH.UNH.EDU
Subject: Golems ... forward and backward in time.

Date: Fri, 06 Mar 92 10:30:46 GMT
From: stephen clark <AP01@liverpool.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: 5.0741 More Rs: Alien Sex (3/50)

Niven's term was rishathra - in The Ringworld Engineers: I doubt if it
has an etymology.
There are several stories by James Tiptree (a woman), including one that
imagines (very implausibly) that we would be sexually excited by aliens
in much the way that plovers are excited by #supernormal# eggs.
And there are stories by P.J.Farmer, including The Lovers (sex with an
insect evolved to look like a woman).
Philosophical papers in Regis, ed., Extraterrestrial Life.

Stephen Clark
Liverpool