5.0681 Rs: Non-roman OCR; Non-Academic Email (3/52)

Thu, 13 Feb 1992 20:40:45 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 5, No. 0681. Thursday, 13 Feb 1992.

(1) Date: Thu, 13 Feb 92 08:42:05 -0500 (21 lines)
From: ussjt@unix.cc.emory.edu (Steve Taylor)
Subject: Non-roman OCR

(2) Date: Thu, 13 Feb 92 8:44:31 EST (20 lines)
From: Ed Haupt <haupt@pilot.njin.net>
Subject: non-academic e-mail

(3) Date: Thu, 13 Feb 92 22:26 GMT (11 lines)
From: George Aichele <0004705237@mcimail.com>
Subject: England Email

Date: Thu, 13 Feb 92 08:42:05 -0500
From: ussjt@unix.cc.emory.edu (Steve Taylor)

Harry Gaylord asks about a Macintosh OCR package for scanning
non-Roman alphabet materials. Although I don't know of any that
expressly recognizes non-Roman characters, you can accomplish this feat
with a trainable OCR program. The idea is to "fool" the program into
thinking that a particular character is an "A," another particular
character is a "B," etc. As long as you're consistent, you've got
something to work with. And if the character you're "misnaming" has
an ASCII value that is the same as the code assigned to your non-Roman
character in the Macintosh font you will be using, no further
conversion will be needed.

I've not yet done it myself, but I've been told that people have used
Olduvai's "Read-it" to scan Hebrew and Cyrillic texts and that the
current version of Omnipage Pro has a trainable mode.

Steve Taylor
Emory University