5.0660 Computer Skill Courses (1/30)

Mon, 10 Feb 1992 22:41:28 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 5, No. 0659. Monday, 10 Feb 1992.

Date: Thu, 6 Feb 92 10:15:39 -0330
From: David Graham <dgraham@morgan.ucs.mun.ca>
Subject: Computer Skills Courses

I know this topic has been discussed many times before, and so invite

[ The editors, however, hope that the discussion takes place on the
list, as this is a topic central to HUMANIST interests -- Allen ]

A committee has recently been struck at Memorial University to propose a
course in computer skills for new first-year students. On behalf of the
committee, and in the interests of profiting from experiences elsewhere,
I have been asked to request from readers of HUMANIST their
accounts of the implementation and success (or lack of success) of such
courses in other post-secondary institutions (especially in North America).
Answers to the following questions would be particularly useful to us,
though I would welcome any useful comments anyone may have on this topic,
and will forward all replies I receive to the committee for discussion:

o are such courses offered for credit in your institution?
o what subjects are typically included (i.e. basics of computer
operation, typing skills, basics of typical applications, basics of
programming, computers and society and so forth)?
o who teaches the courses, and who provides technical support
for the hard ware and software?
o is the course of one or two semesters duration?
o is the course a prerequisite for other courses which rely on
certain computer skills?

All information will be received with gratitude!
--
David Graham, Dept of French & Spanish ** dgraham@morgan.ucs.mun.ca
Memorial University of Newfoundland  *-/-*  dgraham@kean.ucs.mun.ca