5.0615 Mac Qualitative Analysis SW (1/23)

Mon, 20 Jan 1992 17:41:35 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 5, No. 0615. Monday, 20 Jan 1992.

Date: Mon, 20 Jan 92 12:13:39 -0500
From: Peter Evans <pevans@umd5.umd.edu>
Subject: qualitative analysis software for the macintosh

I am looking for information on Macintosh based packages for assisting
in qualitative analysis of text. The three packages I have heard about
are: Nudist, HyperResearch and HyperQual. The data I will be working
with will be interviews, questionnaires, and diaries.

I am particularly interested in the ability of the package to support
multiple and overlapping coding of the data, easy of revising the codes,
speed of retrieval, ability to generate other codes based on existing
codes and provision of basic descriptive statistics eg crosstabs and
frequencies etc. Also, once the data has been coded can it be
manipulated using other tools (eg word processor) and these
manipulations added to the database?

If you have used any of these packages (or others that might be
relevant) I would be very interested in your comments on them. How
much do they cost? Where are they available from? If people reply
directly to me I can post a summary to the net. If you do not want
your name included on the summary mention this in the email.

Peter Evans pevans@umd5.umd.edu (301) 4052033 | from _--_|\
Rm. 4105 Hornbake Library Building | / \
College of Library and Information Services | \_,--._/
University of Maryland, College Park, MD, 20742--------| v