5.0606 More on SPOOL (3/44)

Sun, 19 Jan 1992 12:05:08 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 5, No. 0606. Sunday, 19 Jan 1992.

(1) Date: Thu, 16 Jan 92 20:39:43 CST (18 lines)
From: (James Marchand) <marchand@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>
Subject: spool

(2) Date: Fri, 17 Jan 92 08:41 EST (10 lines)
From: <DACOLEMAN@FAIR1>
Subject: RE: 5.0602 SPOOL and other Memories (4/78)

(3) Date: Sat, 18 Jan 92 11:36:26 EST (16 lines)
From: Ralf Thiede <FEN00RT1@UNCCVM>

Date: Thu, 16 Jan 92 20:39:43 CST
From: (James Marchand) <marchand@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>

The acronym was formed on the basis of the common term for "reels" of paper,
later mag tape. One used to even call the huge rolls of wire the TVA used
"spools", and we used to take the wooden cores left over and turn them on
their sides and use them as picnic tables. I remember working on the old
MIDAC machine at Michigan in the early 50s as a peon. We Germans called the
process of putting things on spools for storage instead of cards "abspuelen",
I have no idea why, but why anything? As for the word spool itself, which
Skeat defines as "a reel ...", it seems to have come into English from
Dutch back during the days of the Industrial Revolution. Why we began to
call spools reels is another question. I have an old wire recording "reel"
from ca. 1948, and it is called spool. I should point out that the German
word spulen (no umlaut) means "to roll up on a spool, reel"; in German a
take-up reel abspult.
Jim Marchand