5.0604 Sidney Bookplate; Goya's Majas (2/63)

Thu, 16 Jan 1992 19:47:06 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 5, No. 0604. Thursday, 16 Jan 1992.

(1) Date: Thu, 16 Jan 1992 14:04:30 -0500 (21 lines)
From: warkent@epas.utoronto.ca (Germaine Warkentin)
Subject: Sidney Bookplate

(2) Date: Tue, 14 Jan 92 08:39:12 EST (42 lines)
From: Eric Rabkin <USERGDFD@UMICHUM.BITNET>
Subject: Goya's majas

Date: Thu, 16 Jan 1992 14:04:30 -0500
From: warkent@epas.utoronto.ca (Germaine Warkentin)

Bob Dawson asks for a description of the "Sidney bookplate."
Actually, it's the bookplate of Philip, 5th earl. One of the
aggravating things about the earlier Sidneys is that they seem not to
have put very many marks of ownership in their books. Robert Sidney
(d. 1626) signed some of his books at an early date, but his son
Robert the second earl (the great collector) seems not to have. There
are no library or shelf-marks that I have been able to detect on the
few copies of Sidney family books which I have been able to see. The
bookplate of the 5th earl (which I cannot describe in proper heraldic
terms) displays a shield with the Sidney arrow-head on it, with a
coronet and helm above, and two beasts, rampant, flanking it on either
side. The motto is "Quo fata vocant," and the cartouche below
contains the following: "The Righ Honble. Philip Sydney / Earle of
Leicester Viscount Lisle and / Baron Sydney of Penshurst 1704" It is
illustrated on p. 262 of the _Bulletin_ of the Printing Historical
Society (# 20, January, 1987). Germaine Warkentin <warkent@epas.utoronto.ca>