5.0582 Copyright (3/144)

Mon, 13 Jan 1992 22:26:18 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 5, No. 0582. Monday, 13 Jan 1992.

(1) Date: Tue, 07 Jan 92 00:12:26 EST (25 lines)
From: Peter Ian Kuniholm <MCG@CORNELLC>
Subject: Re: 5.0565 Copyright

(2) Date: Tue, 7 Jan 1992 10:23:03 -0500 (67 lines)
From: Matthew Wall <wall@cc.swarthmore.edu>

(3) Date: Thu, 9 Jan 92 1:49:45 EST (52 lines)
From: ooi@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Jim Porter)

Date: Tue, 07 Jan 92 00:12:26 EST
From: Peter Ian Kuniholm <MCG@CORNELLC>
Subject: Re: 5.0565 Copyright (3/75)

Re. the matter of copying books/articles which are going to get heavy use on
the Reserve Shelf:
1. Suppose your university library has done its bit for both author and publis
her by buying the book. Hooray for the library! Hooray for royalties!
2. Suppose the use and mis-use of the book by a large class is going to leave
it fairly shredded, spine broken, dog-eared, generally a mess for the next user
. Even "careful" users mess up. I dropped a book only today.
3. Is it not an act of mercy (from the point of view of the book as well as fu
ture users) to copy it, let the copy be handed around, mangled, whatever, and
then discarded when the course is over? This may not be good law, but it is
the same reason we put on our old clothes when doing dirty work. If they get
damaged, who cares?
Peter Ian Kuniholm

Peter Ian Kuniholm, Dept. of the History of Art and Archaeology,
G-35 Goldwin Smith Hall, Cornell University, Ithaca, N.Y. 14853-3201
Telephone: 1 (607) 255-8650 or 255-9732. FAX= 1 (607) 255-1454.
If you are writing from an INTERNET address, my address is
MCG@CORNELLC.CIT.CORNELL.EDU