5.0532 Plutarch in the Colonies (1/9)

Mon, 16 Dec 1991 21:38:13 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 5, No. 0532. Monday, 16 Dec 1991.

Date: Thu, 12 Dec 1991 20:30:20 -0500
From: warkent@epas.utoronto.ca (Germaine Warkentin)
Subject: "Sic semper tyrannis"

Owen Cramer suggests that Plutarch's _Lives_ may not have been much read
in the colonies. Quite the contrary, I suspect; anyone who got a
grammar-school education in the 17th and 18th centuries got a
classical education, and Plutarch was gentlemen's reading for sure.
In addition, the life of Tiberius was of special interest to the
"classical republicans" of the 17th century. I can't imagine they
were without influence in pre-revolutionary America. Germaine Warkentin
<warkent@epas.utoronto.ca>