5.0455 Rs: Methodology as Metaphor (3/67)

Mon, 18 Nov 1991 18:54:09 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 5, No. 0455. Monday, 18 Nov 1991.

(1) Date: Fri, 15 Nov 91 14:23:17 MST (28 lines)
From: "don l. f. nilsen" <ATDFN@ASUACAD>
Subject: METHODOLOGY AS METAPHOR

(2) Date: Sat, 16 Nov 1991 11:52 MST (15 lines)
From: OCRAMER@CCNODE.Colorado.EDU
Subject: Re: 5.0448 N&Q: ... Methodology

(3) Date: Fri, 15 Nov 91 21:55 EST (24 lines)
From: John_E_JOSEPH@umail.umd.edu (jj36)
Subject: re: 5.0448(5): Methodology as metaphor

Date: Fri, 15 Nov 91 14:23:17 MST
From: "don l. f. nilsen" <ATDFN@ASUACAD>

I am intrigued by Mark Bergman's inquiry about "Methodology as
Metaphor." I believe that this phenomenon is much more prevalent than
we are aware of.
I don't think it's a coincidence, for example, that Einstein developed
his concept of Relativity (E = mc2), and that later Benjamin Whorf
developed his concept of "Linguistic Relativity."
I also don't think it's a coincidence that Darwin developed his
tree diagrams to explain the theory of evolution and that later Noam
Chomsky used similar looking trees to describe phrase structure rules.
Actually, these trees, don't look like trees at all. Perhaps the word
ROOTS should have been used in both cases, but then maybe this would
have made our perceptions more BASIC, or more BASE.
Maybe we could call the Einstein and the Darwin metaphors ROOT
METAPHORS, since other metaphors grow from them. This would be
especially apt in the Darwin case.

Don L. F. Nilsen
<ATDFN@ASUACAD.BITNET>, (602) 965-7592
Executive Secretary