5.0418 CFP: Society for Universalism (1/189)

Sun, 27 Oct 1991 23:40:21 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 5, No. 0418. Sunday, 27 Oct 1991.

Date: Mon, 21 Oct 1991 15:19 EDT
From: Joanna Johnson <JOHNSON@MCMASTER>
Subject: I.S.U. Symposium

Janusz Kuczynski has been a visiting professor in Philosophy at McMaster
this past month. When I described HUMANIST to him, he asked if I would
forward the following note and announcement to you.

Joanna M. Johnson
Computing Services Coordinator (Humanities)
McMaster University
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
JOHNSON@MCMASTER.CA
------------------

INTERNATIONAL SOCIETY FOR UNIVERSALISM
President, Janusz Kuczynski
Warsaw University
Krakowskie Przedmiescie 3
Warszawa 00-047, Poland
Phone: (48-22)26 45 67, Fax: 267520, Telex: 815439 UWPL

SYMPOSIUM, Limassol, Cyprus, May 15 - 20, 1992:

``Relations between Judaism, Christianity and Islam: In
the Quest for a Metaphilosophy of Universalism'' -- a
special symposium scheduled for May 15-20 on the island
of Cyprus. Scholars in the areas of philosophy, religious
studies, literature, political science, history and sociology
are invited to submit papers or thesis-contributions and to
take part in the discussions.

(1) Papers -- maximum eight type-written, double-spaced pages (twenty
minutes duration), or

(2) Brief thesis-contributions -- between two and four typed pages (five
to ten minutes duration),

The papers (1) will be of a broader scope dealing with some particular
problem regarding

(a) bi- or tri-lateral dialogue between the three religions in the area of
common values and beliefs;

(b) the meaning of life, the theory of love and wisdom in the three
religions;

(c) the meaning of history in the three religions.

The above problems can be discussed from a broad historical or systematic
(theoretical) perspective, preferably with particular reference to
contemporary concerns of Humankind.

The thesis-contributions (2) will briefly deal with some particular
aspect of the problematic above in a concise manner.

It is to be noted that this symposium is conceived as a part of a major
research project of the I.S.U. The aim of the symposium is to promote
better understanding of the philosophies of the three monotheistic
religions in their connection and differences in a spirit of good will
and through scholarly dialogue.

Theme groups to be established on the first day of the symposium will
have as their task to abstract and generalize material relevant to a
given theme on the basis of presented papers, thesis-contributions and
discussions. At the end of the symposium the chairperson of each theme
group will read to the assembly the report prepared by his/her group.
Also at the end of the symposium, all participants will select and rank
by secret ballot six papers presented to the symposium which are
considered to be the best. These, as well as papers and
thesis-contributions to be chosen by the board of the I.S.U. and the
editors of Dialogue and Humanism, will be published in the forementioned
journal of the I.S.U. English is the official language of the symposium.

Completed participation forms along with an abstract (approximately 10
lines long) should be sent by January 15, 1992 to:

The President,
International Society for Universalism
Warsaw University
Krakowskie Przedmiescie 3
Warszawa 00-047, Poland

Registration fee (non-refundable after February 28): $50.00 US for
symposium participants, $20.00 for accompanying persons, if paid by
January 15, 1992. Thereafter $80.00 and $25.00, respectively.

Three copies of papers and thesis-contributions should be sent to the
President of the I.S.U. as soon as possible, but no later than April 20,
1992.

For further details regarding the symposium on Cyprus and other events
organized by the I.S.U. see future issues of Dialogue and Humanism, (No. 3 &
4/1991 and No. 1 & 2/1992).

DATE: _____________________________________

PARTICIPATION FORM

(to reach the Central Office of the I.S.U., Warsaw University, Krakowskie
Przedmiescie 3, Warszawa 00-047, Poland by January 15, 1992)

NAME:_________________________________________________TITLE:__________________

POSITION/OCCUPATION: _________________________________________________________
HOME ADDRESS:

Phone: _______________________ Fax: ___________________________
ACADEMIC INSTITUTION/WORK ADDRESS:

Phone:________________ Fax:________________ Telex:________________

Electronic Mail:______________

ACCOMPANYING
PERSONS:______________________________________________________________________

TITLE OF PAPER OR THESIS-CONTRIBUTION

ENCLOSING AN ABSTRACT? YES____ NO____
ENCLOSING REGISTRATION FEE? YES____ NO____ AMOUNT ENCLOSED:______________
(Cheques or money orders made payable to: International Society for
Universalism)

DATE: _____________________________________

SIGNATURE: _____________________________________________

Please Divide Sheet Here

SYMPOSIUM ON RELATIONS BETWEEN JUDAISM, CHRISTIANITY AND ISLAM
organized by
INTERNATIONAL SOCIETY FOR UNIVERSALISM, LIMASSOL, CYPRUS, MAY 15-20, 1992

HOTEL RESERVATION INFORMATION
Please indicate your choice of hotel and send required details and deposit to:
Mr. Aristos Demetriou
Wingate Travel
20 Stassicrates Street
P.O. Box 4134
Nicosia, Cyprus
(Tel.: 451300; Fax: 357 2 366730)

One night's deposit p.p. is required by mid-February. Balance should
reach Wingate Travel one month before arrival. Payments can be made in
U.S. $ as per exchange rate at the time of the payment. Current rate 1
CY# = US $2.12.

The information required to make booking is as follows: Full name(s)
(both names in case of double), exact number of rooms required, date
in/date out (we understand that some may wish to stay for extra days
before or after the symposium). The rates include accommodation,
breakfast and all taxes. Optional half-board entitles to one,
three-course meal a day (choice of lunch or dinner) but does not include
drinks. Please indicate whether you wish to have H/B at the hotel. The
following hotels in Limassol are recommended. 1) Mediterranean Beach
This is a new hotel on the beach with excellent facilities. The
symposium will take place in this hotel which has been built to five
star standards, although its official classification is four stars.
Rates in May: Twin Room CY#17.00 per person per night. Twin room for
single use CY#22.00 per night. H/B supplement CY#5.00 p.p.p.d. To
guarantee a sea view room please add CY#3.00 per person per day.
Otherwise, sea view rooms will be offered only if available.

2) Aquamarina Hotel
A seafront three star property. The hotel is situated 15 minutes by
public bus from Mediterranean Beach Hotel, 5 minutes walk to bus stop.
Bus runs every 20 minutes (each run costs CY#0.25) and stops outside
Mediterranean. Rates in May: Twin Room CY#12.00 p.p.p.n. Single use
CY#15.00 p.m. H/B supplement CY#3.75 p.p.

3) Pefkos Hotel
This two star hotel is in the centre of Limassol town. The bus stop for
bus going to Mediterranean Beach Hotel is just opposite the hotel.
Buses run every 20 minutes. All rooms in the hotel have private
facilities. Rates in May: Twin room CY#8.50 p.p.p.n. Twin room for
Single use CY#12.50 p.n. H/B supplement CY#3.50 p.p.

Wingate Travel will make arrangements for taxi transfers Larnaca
Airport/Hotel/Airport, if information regarding arrival/departure and
number of persons is provided 15 days before arrival. Cost each way
CY#17.00 per taxi per trip (4 persons and luggage).