5.0402 CFP: Literature, Computers, & Writing (1/92)

Mon, 21 Oct 1991 23:49:20 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 5, No. 0402. Monday, 21 Oct 1991.

Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1991 07:15:26 EDT
From: BITNET%"R0MILL01@ULKYVX.BITNET"Robert Royar (C&CD Moderator)
Subject: Call for papers: NYIT Fifth-Annual Computer Conference

Please Post and Circulate
| CALL FOR PAPERS |
| |
| LITERATURE, COMPUTERS AND WRITING: |
| |
| FORGING CONNECTIONS IN THE HIGH SCHOOL |
| |
| AND COLLEGE ENGLISH CLASSROOMS |
| |
| April 3, 1992 |
|_____________________________________________________________________________|

The fifth annual Computers and English Conference for high school and
college teachers of writing.
Sponsored by the Program in English New York Institute of Technology

The conference has two primary themes:
o how computers and specifically computer networks can be used to ally
high school and college teachers of English, and
o how computers are changing the way literature is created, taught,
understood and written about.

You are invited to propose presentations and panel discussions that stimulate
thinking about the many ways literature, computers and writing can be related
in and between high school and college English classrooms.

Please forward a brief abstract of either a demonstration of exercises (no
longer than five minutes) or an argument (ten to fifteen minutes long).
Along with your name, school affiliation, address, and daytime phone number,
be sure to specify any equipment your presentation requires (number and kind
of computers, type of software, etc.)

Possible Topics

o Computer access in a muliticultural environment
o Computers and the changing definitions of literacy
o Growing interest in desktop publishing for students and
faculty
o Teleconferencing and distance learning
o Classroom uses of on-line databases and searches
o Classroom uses of hypertext and hypermedia
o Computer discussion groups for students and/or teachers
o Varied features of personal contact in an electronic
environment
o Computers and the learning-disabled student
o Continuing teacher education and telecommunications
o Demonstrations of software programs you have designed
o Effects of computers on testing and assessing
individually or collaboratively composed writing

The submission deadline is January 15, 1992.
Notification of acceptance is February 7, 1992.
Send proposals and requests for information to
Department of English
New York Institute of Technology
Old Westbury, New York 11568
Att: Ann McLaughlin (516) 686-7557.

O /
\ /
(2) -----------------X--------------------------------------------------

Conference Fee: $50.00 (prior to conference date) $35.00 for matriculated
graduate students. Fee includes coffee and buffet luncheon. Hotel
accomodations available near campus at East Norwich Inn (East Norwich, NY).

|Pre-Registration Form |
| |
| Please register me for the Fifth-Annual NYIT Computers and Writing |
| Conference: |
| |
| Amount Enclosed: $ ___.___ |
| Mail completed form to |