5.0397 Multilingual WP; Accents (2/44)

Thu, 17 Oct 1991 21:26:54 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 5, No. 0397. Thursday, 17 Oct 1991.

(1) Date: 17 October 91, 11:40:11 IST (33 lines)
From: Sheizaf Rafaeli 02-827676 (Israel) KBUSR at HUJIVM1
Subject: Multilingual wp - my two bits

(2) Date: Mon, 14 Oct 91 21:46:50 -0400 (11 lines)
From: jdg@oz.plymouth.edu (Dr. Joel Goldfield)
Subject: Downloading detail for Real Accents

Date: 17 October 91, 11:40:11 IST
From: Sheizaf Rafaeli 02-827676 (Israel) KBUSR at HUJIVM1

Adding my two bits to the multilingual wordprocessing exchange:

My preference is for a small and neat package (MS-DOS based) made here
in Israel, called QTEXT. QTEXT is made in kibbutz Dvir. Its original
incarnations were released to the public domain, (not even Shareware,
really free).

The current version (about 4.5) is able to deal with 14 different
european alphabets and keyboard arrangements, in addition to its native
Hebrew and English. I am not sure when the Arabic version will be out,
but am told its in the works. ALso not sure how diacriticals are
treated. But this is a small, transportable, very competent and
compatible tool. We chose it as the lingua franca around here.

The reason I like Qtext is that it is the most respectful of ASCII of
all the packages I use. The files it saves have a minimum of mangling,
reversing and other forms of torment common to multilingual
monstrosities.

Disclaimer: I am just a satisfied customer.
Promise: I can dig up the address if anyone is interested.

Sheizaf Rafaeli
Social Sciences
Hebrew University of Jerusalem
KBUSR@HUJIVM1