5.0350 Multilingual WP (2/58)

Tue, 1 Oct 1991 20:43:00 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 5, No. 0350. Tuesday, 1 Oct 1991.

(1) Date: Mon, 30 Sep 1991 11:17:58 PDT (30 lines)
From: Diane_L._Olsen.osbu_north@xerox.com
Subject: Multilingual WP

(2) Date: Sat, 28 Sep 1991 19:24:47 EDT (28 lines)
From: Alan David Bulley <458507@UOTTAWA>
Subject: Re: 5.0340 Multilingual WP (More)

Date: Mon, 30 Sep 1991 11:17:58 PDT
From: Diane_L._Olsen.osbu_north@xerox.com

Many thanks to John Hughes for information on what little multilingual
word processing software is available for personal computers. I know of
a few others, particularly for Arabic WP, and will dig up my information
if people are interested. The company that seems to offer the widest
variety of non-Latin-based scripts (Hindi, Arabic, Thai, etc.) so far is:

Linguist's Software
P.O. Box 580
Edmonds, WA 98020

By the way, as a software developer for the "Xerox proprietary system"
that someone mentioned a while back, I feel compelled to add that
WYSIWYG WP of mixed-language, mixed-directional text with automatic
ligature insertion and floating diacritics is a (mostly) solved problem.
Unfortunately, Xerox's elegant solution to this problem is not available
for the Mac. It is available for the PC and the Sun workstation, but
only at great pain and expense. (Needless to say, all but one or two of
our customers are government agencies.)

Whether Xerox, or any company, will soon offer a truly WYSIWYG, truly
multilingual (i.e., not just Latin-based characters) WP system for the
Mac or PC that any scholar or university can afford is an open question.
I certainly hope that someone will do so.

Diane L. Olsen
dolsen.osbu_north@xerox.com
olsen@csli.stanford.edu