5.0314 Directory of Liturgical Sources (1/213)

Mon, 9 Sep 1991 16:50:59 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 5, No. 0314. Monday, 9 Sep 1991.
Directory of Liturgical Sources

Date: Friday, 6 September 1991 0038-EST
From: KRAFT@PENNDRLS
Subject: Directory of Liturgical Sources

The following is self explanatory. Sarah has asked that
it be posted on the various relevant lists, and I am happy
to do so. Sorry if you have already seen it! Bob Kraft, UPenn
=====

DIRECTORY OF INDIVIDUAL LITURGICAL SOURCES (D.I.L.S.)

SARAH LARRATT KEEFER
Box 314, Otonabee College
Trent University
Peterborough, Ontario K9J 7B8
Telephone 705-742-1649 Fax 705-748-0203
e-mail SKEEFER@TRENTU.CA

IF YOU WORK IN THE AREA OF GOSPEL BOOKS, GOSPEL LECTIONARIES OR BIBLES,
PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING, OR SAVE IT UNTIL YOU CAN GIVE IT THE TIME TO GO
THROUGH CAREFULLY. I NEED YOUR HELP FOR THE PRELIMINARY "LITMSS" DATABASE AND
FOR ITS ULTIMATE OFFSPRING, THE DIRECTORY OF INDIVIDUAL LITURGICAL SOURCES.

I list below what I have collected from Gneuss _Handlist_, Gneuss _Liturgical
Book_ list, Ker _Catalogue_, Temple, Collins, and various private
compilations. In the Gospel Books and Lectionaries, I am looking for
manuscripts with Matt.6: 9-13 and Luke, chapters 1 & 2, and 11:2-4 intact,
from the Anglo-Saxon period, in either Latin or Old English. These of course
contain the scriptural 'originals' of the New Testament 'cantica' used
in the Daily Office, and consisting of the Pater Noster (Matt. 6: 9-13, and
the briefer Lucan version in 11: 2-4), the Magnificat (Luke 1: 46-55),
Benedictus (Luke 1: 68-79), first verse of Gloria in excelsis (Luke 2:14) and
Nunc Dimittis (Luke 2: 29-32). In bibles proper I am looking for complete
texts of these New Testament cantica and of the Old Testament cantica that
might have been used in pre-Conquest England (I am casting wide here, and
including cantica from the Spanish/Mozarabic tradition [marked below with a
#] as well as from the post-Charlemagne Gallican, as the Spanish attitude
towards hymns seems to have something in common with the Irish). These O.T.
cantica are to be found in Exodus 15 (Cantemus Domino), Deuteronomy 32
(Audite Caeli), Habakkuk 3 (Domine Audivi), 1 Samuel 2 (Exultavit Cor Meum),
Isaiah 12 (Confitebor tibi), #Isaiah 26 (De Mane Vigilabo Te), Isaiah 38 (Ego
Dixi In Dimidio), #Isaiah 60 (Surge illuminare), #Lamentations 5 (Memento
Domine), Daniel 3:57 (Benedicite Opera), and Daniel 3:52 (Benedictus Es) (my
source is Mearns).

Because I will clearly not be able to go through each gospel book, gospel
lectionary or bible to ascertain that these pieces of text are in fact
present, I am appealing to anyone working with these texts, to help me
include/rule out the mss listed below as containing/omitting the scriptural
cantica that I've identified above.
Please let me know, at the addresses or by phone as listed above, if you can
categorically identify a ms as containing these cantica or as being imperfect
and leaving some or all of those text sections out. Gospel lectionaries are
especially complicated, as I do not know whether these sections will
automatically be included (because of their cantica importance) or not. You
can further assist me by sending me the text of what cantica versions ARE
there in a given manuscript, but even for the moment, a simple 'sheep and
goats' separation of mss is what I'm after.

Can anyone add to what I have collected? I've tried to track down every bible
and gospel version in Latin or OE from the pre-Conquest period so far, but am
sure that I've missed a few along the way. I have optimistically included
single-leaf gospel fragments but left out (sensibly, I hope) single-leaf
bible fragments, and would appreciate any corrections I should make in this
regard.

There is no time limit on this request. I will be very grateful for any help
you can give me. Thank you.

Sarah

* = OE text; otherwise text is in Latin; (F) indicates a fragmentary book

GOSPEL BOOKS

Great Britain Libraries

*Cambridge University Library Ii.2.11 + Exeter Cathedral Library 3501, fols
0-7
Cambridge University Library Ii.6.32
Cambridge University Library Kk.i.24 + B.L. Cotton Tiberius B.v. fols 74 & 76
+ Sloane 1044, fol. 2
*Cambridge, Corpus Christi College 140 (+ 111)
Cambridge, Corpus Christi College 286
Cambridge, Fitzwilliam Museum Bradfer-Lawrence BL.i (on loan)
(F)Cambridge, Magdalene College Pepys 2981 (2) + B.L. Sloane 1086, fol 119
Cambridge, Pembroke College 301
Cambridge, St John's College 73 (C.23)
Cambridge, Trinity College B.10.4
Dublin, Trinity College 57 (A.4.5)
Dublin, Trinity College 58 (A.1.6)
(F)Durham Cathedral Library A.II.10, fols 2-5, 338 & 339 + C.III. 13, fols
192-5 + C.III.20, fol 1 & 2
Durham Cathedral Library A.II.16 + Cambridge, Magdalene College Pepys 2981
(18)
Durham Cathedral Library A.II.17, fols 2-102 + Cambridge, Magdalene College
Pepys 2981 (19)
(F)Durham Cathedral Library A.II.17, fols 103-11: THIS IS A FRAGMENTARY

GOSPEL OF LUKE

Hereford Cathedral Library P.i.2
Lichfield Cathedral Library Lich 1
(F)Lincoln Cathedral Library 298 (1)
London, B.L. Additional 9381
London, B.L. Additional 34890
London, B.L. Additional 40000
London, B.L. Additional 40618
London, B.L. Cotton Nero D.iv: LINDISFARNE GOSPELS
London, B.L. Cotton Otho B.ix
*London, B.L. Cotton C.i, vol. i + Otho B.x, fol 51
London, B.L. Cotton Tiberius A.ii + Claudius A.iii, fols 2-7 & 9 + Faustina
B.vi, fols 95 & 98-100
London, B.L. Cotton Tiberius B.iv, fol 87 + Lambeth Palace 1370
(F)London, B.L. Cotton Tiberius B.v, fol 75
London, B.L. Harley 76
London, B.L. Royal 1.A.xviii
London, B.L. Royal 1.B.vii
London, B.L. Royal 1.D.iii
London, B.L. Royal 1.D.ix
London, B.L. Royal 1.E.vi + Canterbury Cathedral Library Add. 16 + Oxford,
Bodleian Library, Lat. bibl. b.2
(F)London, B.L. Royal 7.C.xii, fols 2 & 3
Oxford, Bodleian Auct. D.2.14
Oxford, Bodleian Auct. D.2.16
Oxford, Bodleian Auct. D.2.19: glossed
Oxford, Bodleian Auct. D.5.3
Oxford, Bodleian Bodley 155
*Oxford, Bodleian Bodley 441
(F)Oxford, Lincoln College 92, fols 165 & 166
Oxford, St John's College 194
Oxford, Wadham College 2 (A.10.22)
(F)Worcester Cathedral Additional 1
York Minster Cathedral Library Additional 1

Continental and North America Libraries

Avranches Bibl. Municipale 48, fols i/ii + 66, fols i/ii + 71, fols A/B +
Leningrad Publ. Lib. O.v.I.i
Bern, Stadtbibl. 671
Besancon Bibl. Municipale 14
Boulogne Bibl. Municipale 10
Boulogne Bibl. Municipale 11
Coburg Landesbibl. 1
Copenhagen Kongelige Bibl. G.K.S. 10
Hannover-Kestner Museum W.M. XXIa, 36
(F)Leipzig, Universitatsbibl. Rep I 58a + Rep II 35a
Leningrad Public Library F.v.i.8
Monte Cassino, Archivio della Badia BB.437 + 439
(F)Munchen, Bayerische Staatsbibl. clm 29155d
(F)Munchen, Bayerische Staatsbibl. clm 29155e
New York, Pierpont Morgan Library 708
New York, Pierpont Morgan Library 709
New York, Pierpont Morgan Library 827
New York, Pierpont Morgan Library 869
New York, Pierpont Morgan M.333
Paris, Bibl. Nat. Lat. 272
Paris, Bibl. Nat. Lat. 281 + 298
Paris, Bibl. Nat. Lat. 9389
Paris, Bibl. Nat. Lat. 14782
Prague, Univ. Knihovna Roudnice VI.Fe.50
Rheims, Bibl. Municipale 9
Rome, Vatican City Bibl. Apost. Vat. Barberini Lat. 570
St. Lo, Archives de la Manche 1
(F)St Omer, Bibl. Municipale 257, fols. 1-7
Stockholm, Kunglinga Bibl. A.135
(F)Utrecht, Universiteitsbib. 32 (script. eccl. 484), fols. 94-105
Wurzburg, Universitatsbib. M.p.th.f.68

GOSPEL LECTIONARIES

Great Britain Libraries

Cambridge, Pembroke College 302
Cambridge, Fitzwilliam Museum 88-1972 (218)
London, B.L. Stowe 944
(F)London, College of Arms Arundel 22, fols. 84 & 85
Oxford, Bodleian Lat. lit. f.5

Continental and North American Libraries

(F)Damme, Musee van Maerlant s.n.
Florence, Bibl. Med. Laur. Plut. xii. 17 (called Plut. xvii.20 in Gneuss'
Handlist: I've written to him on this)
Warsaw, Bibl. Nar. I.3311

BIBLES, INCLUDING HEXATEUCH/PENTATEUCH TEXTS

Great Britain Libraries

Cambridge, Trinity College B.5.2
(F)Cambridge, Gonville and Caius College 820 (h)
(F)Cambridge, Magdalene College Pepys 2981 (4)
Durham Cathedral Library A.II.4
Lincoln Cathedral Library 1 (A.1.2)
*(F)Lincoln Cathedral 298 (2) (Hexateuch)
(F)London, B.L. Additional 37777 + 45025
*London, B.L. Cotton Claudius B.iv (Hexateuch)
*London, B.L. Cotton Vespasian D.xxi, fols 18-40 + Oxford, Bodleian Laud
Misc. 509 (Hexateuch)
London, B.L. Royal 1.E.vii + 1.E.viii
Oxford, Bodleian Kennicott 13: (Genesis-Judges)
(F)Oxford, Bodleian Lat. bib. c.8 + Salisbury Cathedral Library 117, fols.
163/4 + Geneva Bibl. Bodmeriana
s.n.

Continental and North American Libraries

Florence, Bibl. Med. Laur. Amiatino 1
*(F)New York, Pierpont Morgan Glazier G.63 (Hexateuch)
San Marino, California Huntingdon HM 62