5.0285 Research in Humanities Computing I (1/100)

Tue, 20 Aug 1991 18:37:48 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 5, No. 0285. Tuesday, 20 Aug 1991.

Date: Fri, 16 Aug 91 10:41 BST
From: Susan Hockey <SUSAN@vax.oxford.ac.uk>
Subject: Publication of Research in Humanities Computing I

Announcing a new publication .....

Research in Humanities Computing I, the first in the new series
of papers from the ALLC-ACH conferences published by Oxford
University Press, will be available in the UK and Europe from
12 September and a little later in the USA.

Publication details:
Susan Hockey and Nancy Ide (series editors), Ian Lancashire
(guest editor), 'Research in Humanities Computing I: Papers
from the 1989 ACH-ALLC Conference', Oxford University Press,
1991, ISBN 0-19-824251-4, 352pp.

Susan Hockey

Contents

Preface by Ian Lancashire

Introduction

Northrop Frye, Literary and Mechanical Models

Part One: Statistical Methods

Karin Flikeid, Techniques of Textual and Quantitative Analysis in a
Corpus-Based Sociolinguistic Study of Acadian French

G. Lessard and A. Whitfield, The Study of Oral Elements in Some Modern
Quebecois Novels: Some Applications of Text Analysis Software

Thomas B. Horton, Frequent Words, Authorship and Characterization in
Jacobean Drama

Etienne Brunet, What do Statistics Tell Us?

Part Two: Text Analysis Tools

Hans Van Halteren, The Scholar's Workdesk, a STRIDER Case Study

Susan Hockey, Jo Freedman and John Cooper, The Oxford Text Searching System

Part Three: Linguistics

Andrea de Leeuw van Weenen, Automatic Lemmatization of Classical Armenian
Texts

Arne Jonsson and Lars Ahrenberg, Extensions of a Descriptor-Based Tagging
System into a Tool for the Generation of Unification-Based Grammars

B. Elan Dresher, YOUPIE: A Parameter-Based Learning Model for Metrical
Phonology

Part Four: Artificial Intelligence and Computational Linguistics

Nancy Ide and Jean Veronis, An Artificial Intelligence Approach to Literary
Narrative

Christian Koch, Metaphorical and Analogical Understanding in Reader-Text
Interaction

Igor A. Melcuk and Alain Polguere, Aspects of the Implementation of the
Meaning-Text Model for English Text Generation

Nick Cercone, Paul McFetridge, Gary Hall and Chris Groeneboer, An Unnatural
Language Interface

Jim Kippen and Bernard Bel, From Wordprocessing to Automatic Knowledge
Acquisition; a Pragmatic Application for Computers in Experimental
Ethnomusicology

Part Five: Databases

Frank Wm, Tompa and Darrell R. Raymond, Database Design for a Dynamic
Dictionary

Nicoletta Calzolari and Antonio Zampolli, Lexical Databases and Textual
Corpora: a Trend of Convergence between Computational Linguistics and Liteary
and Linguistic Computing

Jacques Dendien, Access to Information in a Textual Database: Access
Functions and Optimal Indexes

Patricia Galloway and Clara Sue Kidwell, Choctaw Land Claims in Mississippi:
Management and Analysis of Heterogeneous Data

Conclusion

Jean-Claude Gardin, On the Way we Think and Write in the Humanities: A
Computational Perspective