5.0243 Computer Ethics (Cross-posting) (2/105)

Wed, 24 Jul 1991 19:21:16 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 5, No. 0243. Wednesday, 24 Jul 1991.

(1) Date: Sat, 20 Jul 91 21:51 EDT (57 lines)
From: <BYNUM@CTSTATEU>
Subject: Why Is Computer Ethics Important? (from NSP-L)

(2) Date: Mon, 22 Jul 91 07:10 EDT (48 lines)
From: <BYNUM@CTSTATEU>
Subject: RE: Why Is Computer Ethics Important? (from ETHICS-L)

Date: Sat, 20 Jul 91 21:51 EDT
From: <BYNUM@CTSTATEU>
Subject: Why Is Computer Ethics Important?--Forwarded Message

20 July 91

The following message is forwarded from list NSP-L

In a recent posting on this list, Barry Floyd said:

>In keeping with the recent release of the Computers and Ethics
>conference announcement, I wondered if computers entailed any unique
>ethical dilemma's. Do they foster ethical situations unique to their
>operating environment (machine interface, information flow, etc.)?
>Will some existing ethical standards/rules have to be updated to take
>into account the utility of computers?

>In another group there has been discussion of citations and
>electronic journals. Copyright laws and intellectual property
>agreements are certainly open to impact by computers. Invasion of
>privacy, ownership of information (vs the media i.e. paper) seems
>equally prone to reinterpretation. Any other areas likely to require
>rethinking or reconsideration with respect to ethics and computers?

I'm always intrigued when people ask whether computing poses "unique"
ethical questions. Probably it does, and with a little effort and
some careful defining of key terms, we can come up with some. But
the importance (or even the EXISTENCE, some people would say) of
computer ethics as a research subject DOES NOT DEPEND UPON WHETHER
COMPUTING GENERATES *UNIQUE* ETHICAL DILEMMAS.

Computer technology is changing the world--including the research,
publication and teaching world of the professional philosopher. It
is having a profound impact upon human values of all kinds: privacy,
security, peace, health, ownership, freedom, democracy, knowledge,
truth, logic, reasoning, art, music, literature, government, and on
and on!

Isn't this enough to make computer ethics a vitally important
subject? If nearly all the things we value will eventually be
radically changed by computer technology, shouldn't we study-- and
attempt to direct and control--the impact of such technology? We
would be fools NOT to do so!

As I understand the field, Computer Ethics studies the impact of
computer technology upon human values. Whether such technology
generates UNIQUE dilemmas is an interesting, but NOT a central or
definitive question of computer ethics.

Terrell Ward Bynum, Director
Research Center on Computing & Society
Southern Connecticut State University