5.0214 Intonation; Foreign Plurals; Spy Programs (3/79)

Thu, 4 Jul 91 16:09:08 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 5, No. 0214. Thursday, 4 Jul 1991.

(1) Date: 28 Jun 91 16:28:00 EDT (26 lines)
From: "Mary Dee Harris" <mdharris@guvax.georgetown.edu>
Subject: Intonation

(2) Date: Fri, 28 Jun 91 15:04:02 EST (20 lines)
From: "Don W." <UOG12005@vm.uoguelph.ca>
Subject: Spy programs

(3) Date: Thu, 27 Jun 1991 14:10:26 -0500 (33 lines)
From: Dennis Baron <baron@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>
Subject: foreign plurals

Date: 28 Jun 91 16:28:00 EDT
From: "Mary Dee Harris" <mdharris@guvax.georgetown.edu>

With regard to the notion that the rising tone of the end of an utterance
expressing uncertainty, I have noticed in recent years that many young
people of both genders do that. I notice it when women do it as well, but
that's partly because it is no longer very common among women (if it ever was).

With regard to Tannen's book, I was recently in conversation with
a male friend of mine (who is a physicist, by the way) discussing Tannen's
book when I realized that, according to her observations, I speak more like
a man and he speaks more like a woman. I agree with much of Tannen's
premise, but one must remember that she is a socio-linguist and not a
psychologist. Her research is done by observation and then generalization
about the observations. I think it's important to remember that any
generalization will distort the "facts" -- by definition. That doesn't
challenge the validity of the generalization, though. (I also think that
one should keep this notion in mind when using statistical techniques of
any kind. Too often I hear people say that something is valid because it's
based on statistics -- how naive can people be???) All of us are exceptions
to generalizations -- just try buying clothes. How many of us fit perfectly
into those generalized sizes?

Mary Dee