5.0200 Humanities Computing From Research to Instruction (2/53)

Thu, 27 Jun 91 14:52:01 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 5, No. 0200. Thursday, 27 Jun 1991.

(1) Date: Wed, 26 Jun 1991 23:28:53 -0400 (30 lines)
From: mccarty@epas.utoronto.ca (Willard McCarty)
Subject: research to instruction

(2) Date: Thu, 27 Jun 91 08:29:05 MST (23 lines)
From: Skip <DUSKNOX@IDBSU>
Subject: Re: 5.0195 Humanities Computing (1/26)

Date: Wed, 26 Jun 1991 23:28:53 -0400
From: mccarty@epas.utoronto.ca (Willard McCarty)

Charles Faulhaber suggests, in his note about imitation of the model for
instructional computing in the sciences, that one long-range approach
for computing humanists begins with their research. Interesting, and
once said fairly obvious. I suggest that if computer-assisted research
in the humanities is to trickle down into undergraduate instruction,
two things need to happen: (1) researchers need to undertake long-range
projects dealing with major works of art, literature, and music; and
(2) they be particularly self-observant about what is happening to
their research as a result of applying the computer to it. Simply put,
curious students and doubting deans need to see that computers deepen
our understanding of and appreciation for our most important cultural
artifacts, and those of us doing the research need to have some idea
about what is happening to our perceptual equipment as a result.

Evangelism is ok, a necessary lubricant, but the motive power comes
from cogent results in the mainstream of the humanities. Some of these
results will come because some of us are quite stubborn, but we'd get
considerably further with less waste of talent if there were more of
us humanists in humanities computing who actually had the opportunity
to do what we were trained to do and in fact live for. So much good
work to be done, so few to do it, so little time. One can imagine
worse situations, or witness them, however.

Willard McCarty