5.0159 Qs: Judges; Rhetorica; Boston Housing; Shakespeare (4/71)

Wed, 19 Jun 91 16:46:08 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 5, No. 0159. Wednesday, 19 Jun 1991.

(1) Date: Tue, 18 Jun 91 11:35 CDT (12 lines)
From: Bill Kupersmith <BLAWRKWY@UIAMVS>
Subject: Hanging judges

(2) Date: Tue, 18 Jun 91 15:26:57 EDT (18 lines)
From: Alan David Bulley <458507@UOTTAWA>
Subject: Rhetorica ad Herennium

(3) Date: 19 JUN 91 14:06:06.16-GMT (16 lines)
From: TONY@FRPERP51
Subject: unusual request

(4) Date: Wed, 19 Jun 91 13:34 EST (25 lines)
From: SAA9517@OBERLIN.BITNET
Subject: Query RE: Shakespeare

Date: Tue, 18 Jun 91 11:35 CDT
From: Bill Kupersmith <BLAWRKWY@UIAMVS>

Does anyone have a source or a parallel for the anecdote about
the English judge who is supposed to have pronounced sentence
on a malefactor named Bacon by informing the culprit that pork
does not become bacon till it has been "well hanged"? It may
have been ascribed to the notorious Stuart judge Lord Jeffreys.

--Bill Kupersmith
Univ. of Iowa