5.0112 Queries: FTP from VMS/VAX; Library of America (2/34)

Fri, 31 May 91 15:26:11 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 5, No. 0112. Friday, 31 May 1991.

(1) Date: Fri, 31 May 1991 10:06:28 EDT (19 lines)
From: hmcook@boe00.minc.umd.edu (Hardy M. Cook)
Subject: FTPing Using VMS on a VAX Host

(2) Date: Thu, 30 May 91 16:49:34 CDT (15 lines)
From: "Michael S. Hart" <HART@vmd.cso.uiuc.edu>
Subject: Re: 5.0108 ...Library of America

Date: Fri, 31 May 1991 10:06:28 EDT
From: hmcook@boe00.minc.umd.edu (Hardy M. Cook)

Is there anyone who has experience using FTP on a VAX with VMS.
I discovered only a few weeks ago that I had access to FTP, but
I have not been able to use it correctly. I can logon to the
remote host from our VAX with VMS. However, once connected
the only command I seem to be able to use is DIR. I cannot
use CD to get into any of the subdirectories. Neither can I
use the GET command to retrieve files. The "computer" people
at my institution don't seem to know a thing about FTP, and I
would appreciate any help about retreiving files, both text
and binary, and downloading them to my PC. Thanks to anyone
who can give me any assistance.

Hardy M. Cook
HMCook@BOE00.MINC.UMD.EDU