Wed, 22 May 91 16:10:04 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 5, No. 0093. Wednesday, 22 May 1991.

(1) Date: Tue, 21 May 91 19:33 EDT (26 lines)
From: Michel LENOBLE <LENOBLEM@umtlvr.bitnet>
Subject: Re: 5.0087 Qs: Ste Waudru

(2) Date: Wed, 22 May 91 13:41 CDT (23 lines)
From: crisp@engr.uark.edu (Crisp Group)
Subject: uv/ir light

(3) Date: Tue, 21 May 1991 17:28 MST (23 lines)
From: OCRAMER%CCNODE@VAXF.Colorado.EDU
Subject: Re: 5.0078 Teaching Classical Languages

(4) Date: Wed, 22 May 1991 11:02 EST (29 lines)
From: Morgan Tamplin <MTAMPLIN@TrentU.ca>
Subject: Re: Responses: 5.0082 Gatling/Machine Guns

Date: Tue, 21 May 91 19:33 EDT
From: Michel LENOBLE <LENOBLEM@umtlvr.bitnet>

SAINTE WAUDRU

Waudru est la fille du comte de Hainaut. Elle a fonde une abbaye pres
du chateau dans la bonne ville de Mons en Belgique. La collegiale qui
est appelee Sainte Waudru a ete batie entre 1450 et 1621.

Le Syndicat d'initiative de Mons est situe a:
20, Grand-Place
MONS
Province de Hainaut

Si vous avez besoin de plus de renseignements, contactez-moi directement.

Michel Lenoble
Litterature Comparee
Universite de Montreal
C.P. 6128, Succ. "A"
MONTREAL (Quebec)
Canada - H3C 3J7
E-MAIL: lenoblem@cc.umontreal.ca
Tel.: (514) 288-3916
(2) --------------------------------------------------------------35----
Date: Wed, 22 May 91 13:41 CDT
From: crisp@engr.uark.edu (Crisp Group)

Our query should have said enhancement of electronic copies of historic
documents.

Our purpose is to obtain and file elec. images or copies (e-copies) of
historic documents. Image bases provide access to a larger audience.
The readability of e-copies of difficult-to-read originals presents the
problem; thus,the motivation to enhance the e-image to access the
information. This is a dangerous process! We are very aware (and have
intentionally produced altered copies with different information) that
an enhanced e-copy may give different info. from the original.
Disclaimers and warnings should be attached to an e-copy. The value of
an image base of historic documents may (a question open to debate)
counter the danger of enhancement. We have no interest in modification
to original documents.

Our interest in UV/IR is to obtain a UV/IR photograph of the document
and then scan the photograph. An alternative is to use UV/IR directly
in the scanning process. We continue our request for info. and regret
our incorrect phrasing.