5.0054 Qs: Gatlin Gun; Sojourner Truth; ... (4/96)

Tue, 14 May 91 22:48:22 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 5, No. 0054. Tuesday, 14 May 1991.

(1) Date: Fri, 10 May 91 21:17:17 EST (17 lines)
From: "Marc A. Smith" <SMITHM@DUVM>
Subject: References to Gatlin Gun?

(2) Date: Thu, 09 May 91 22:56:08 EDT (13 lines)
From: mpb8s@Virginia
Subject: Research problem...

(3) Date: Mon, 13 May 91 14:02 CDT (16 lines)
From: crisp@engr.uark.edu (Crisp Group)
Subject: Australia & New Zealand contacts

(4) Date: Mon, 13 May 91 14:06 GMT (50 lines)
From: DAVID BARRY <UBJV649@CU.BBK.AC.UK>
Subject: Request for information re users of Email at London University

Date: Fri, 10 May 91 21:17:17 EST
From: "Marc A. Smith" <SMITHM@DUVM>

I have been doing research on military conflicts between Europeans
and the Bugandan kindgom in the early 1900's. It would be helpful for
my research if I could find a reference that I half remember. I believe
that there was a British poem (Kipling?) that ends with a reference to
the gatlin gun. The poem's point was that, no matter what the challenge
native peoples might offer, the British had the gatlin gun.
I have been trying to figure out where I read this and have had no
sucess at all. I wonder if any HUMANISTS might know what I read?

Thank you,

Marc A. Smith
UCLA Sociology