5.0032 Copyright (2nd batch) (2/59)

Mon, 13 May 91 21:32:39 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 5, No. 0032. Monday, 13 May 1991.

(1) Date: Mon, 06 May 91 10:35:22 CDT (27 lines)
From: "Michael S. Hart" <HART@vmd.cso.uiuc.edu>
Subject: Re: 4.1323 Copyright

(2) Date: Mon, 06 May 91 10:19:21 CDT (32 lines)
From: "Michael S. Hart" <HART@vmd.cso.uiuc.edu>

Date:(3) Mon, 06 May 91 10:35:22 CDT (17 lines)
From: "Michael S. Hart" <HART@vmd.cso.uiuc.edu>
Subject: Re: 4.1323 Copyright (4/127)

From: Richard Goerwitz <goer@sophist.uchicago.edu>
Subject: parasites (aka publishers)

Richard mentions an incertainty concerning his ability to post electronic
copies of his articles which have been accepted. On several occasions in
the past year I have had discussion on this matter with various publisher
representatives, and while each of them initially asked that the acticles
in question not be published elsewhere, it was easy to get them to check,
and the result was always that unless I meant publishing them in *another
journal* that it really didn't make any difference to them, though it was
a condition that any self publishing not be before their publication date
which didn't seem too much of an objection.

They, like Bob Hollander, don't perceive much interest in the etext/email
methods of publishing and don't view it as a threat. Hopefully when time
has changed this opinion, precedent will already have been settled.

It also doesn't hurt to tell them you have already copyrighted materials.
Then their publication must included both their copyright statement, your
copyright statement, and whatever else.

Thank you for your interest,
Michael S. Hart, Director, Project Gutenberg

INTERNET: hart@vmd.cso.uiuc.edu
BITNET: hart@uiucvmd.bitnet
The views expressed herein do not necessarily reflect
the views of any person or institution. Neither Prof
Hart nor Project Gutenberg have any official contacts
with the University of Illinois, SIMTEL20 or TRW.