4.1324 TEI Workshop -- European (1/98)

Mon, 6 May 91 20:50:05 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 4, No. 1324. Monday, 6 May 1991.

Date: Mon, 6 May 91 09:19 EDT
From: "NANCY M. IDE (914) 437 5988" <IDE@vaxsar.vassar.edu>
Subject: TEI European Workshop Announcement

An announcement for a TEI workshop to be held in North American was posted
earlier. The following is for a similar TEI workshop, to be held in Europe.

Living with the Guidelines
The European TEI Workshop
Oxford University Computing Service
1-2 July 1991

What is it?

The TEI Workshop is an opportunity for you to learn more about the
thinking behind the TEI's draft Guidelines for the Encoding and Interchange
of Machine-Readable Texts, and to see for yourselves how the principles
they describe can be used in a practical situation. The Workshop will be a
mixture of group discussion work, detailed presentations and hands-on
experience.
Topics covered will include
* nature and purpose of descriptive markup
* basic features of SGML
* essential components of the TEI Guidelines
* TEI conformance -- what it is and why it matters
* an overview of SGML aware software
* using TEI texts with standard software packages

Who can attend?
The numbers attending will be limited to ensure that
everyone has both a chance to be heard and the opportunity to try for
him or herself the full variety of software tools we will be
demonstrating. Places will be allocated on a first come, first served
basis, with a degree of priority given to members of existing TEI
Workgroups, Committees and Affiliated Project representatives based in
Europe who have not previously attended a TEI Workshop.

Who will be there?
The Workshop is being organised by the TEI Editors, Lou Burnard and
Michael Sperberg-McQueen, with additional support from Elaine Brennan
and Harry Gaylord, who also ran the TEI Workshop at the recent highly
successful ACH/ALLC conference in Tempe, Arizona. The European
Workshop is being run back to back with the first TEI Affiliated Projects
Workshop, which means that a number of important major research projects
planning to use the TEI recommendations will also be in attendance. The
Workshop is therefore likely to provide an unusual opportunity for SGML
experts, TEI experts and just plain text hackers to get together.

Where and when?
The Workshop will be hosted by Oxford University Computing Service,
which is located in the centre of Oxford, one of the most beautiful cities of
Europe, (even in the middle of summer when it is traditionally over-run by
tourists), an hour's journey from London and within easy reach of the
Midlands. Overnight accommodation will be arranged for delegates
requesting it on the application form.
The Workshop will begin at 0900 on Monday 1st July and finish around
1500 on Tuesday 2nd July.

How much?
There will be a fixed charge of #80 per head for workshop participants,
reduced to #60 for members of ACH, ALLC or ACL. This covers attendance
fees and a manual and other illustrative material, together with
refreshments and lunch on Monday and Tuesday. Attendants will be
expected to pay their own travel, accommodation and dinner, but we will do
our best to make hotel reservations for anyone requesting this on the
application form.
All expenses of members of official TEI Working Groups and Working
Committees and of one representative from any TEI Affiliated Project will be
refunded, subject to the usual limits, provided that they have not previously
attended any TEI Workshop.

TEI European Workshop RESERVATION FORM
Oxford July 1-2 1991

Please reserve a place at the workshop for:

Name
Address

e-mail:
FAX: telephone:
* I enclose payment of #80 (British sterling)
* I am a member of ACH/ALLC/ACL and enclose payment of #60 (British sterling)
* I am a member of TEI Workgroup/Committee ....
* I am the official representative of Affiliated Project ...
Cheques must be made payable to Oxford University Computing Service.
Please note that places will not be reserved unless payment is enclosed with
this form, except for TEI-funded attendants.

* Please reserve overnight accomodation for me on Sunday and Monday,
in the price range
[ #30-#50 [ #50-#70

This form should be returned as soon as possible to:
TEI Euro-Workshop
Oxford University Computing Service
13 Banbury Road
Oxford OX2 6NN
tel +44 865 273200 fax +44 865 273275
email TEI@VAX.OXFORD.AC.UK
Please note that reservations cannot be accepted after 1 June 91