4.1268 Large C-H CD Text Project?; DAK Bible (2/34)

Mon, 22 Apr 91 22:09:21 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 4, No. 1268. Monday, 22 Apr 1991.

(1) Date: 22 Apr 91 21:40:31 EST (18 lines)
From: James O'Donnell <JODONNEL@PENNSAS>
Subject: Chadwyck-Healey CD-ROM projects

(2) Date: Mon, 22 Apr 91 11:08 EDT (16 lines)
From: Jim Wilderotter -- Georgetown Center for Text and
Subject: Ellis Bible Library

Date: 22 Apr 91 21:40:31 EST
From: James O'Donnell <JODONNEL@PENNSAS>

A posting on FICINO reveals that the British publisher Chadwyck-Healey is
talking about producing a bulky collection (4500 texts) of British
poetry from 900 to 1900 on CD-ROM. By chance our librarians tell me,
and another source confirms, that the same publisher is talking about
producing CD-ROM library of all the patristic and medieval Latin texts
in the 225 large volumes of *Patrologia Latina*. Have other C-H
projects of comparably ambitious scope surfaced? The rumor about the PL
texts suggests that the first 44 volumes of PL would appear on a single
CD-ROM sometime in the next year or two and sell for about $11,000,
which is a lot of cabbage.

Or is Chadwyck-Healey perhaps only the leading spray on a largish wave?
Are we about to be inundated by competing CD-ROM collections of
everything under the sun?