4.1226 Gender (3/67)

Thu, 11 Apr 91 00:27:59 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 4, No. 1226. Thursday, 11 Apr 1991.

(1) Date: Wed, 10 Apr 1991 00:43 CDT (19 lines)
From: 6160LACYA@MUCSD.BITNET
Subject: gender; envelopes

(2) Date: 10 April 91, 14:52:05 SET (17 lines)
From: Marc Eisinger +33 (1) 40 01 51 20 EISINGER at FRIBM11
Subject: Gender

(3) Date: Wed, 10 Apr 91 08:07:38 -0400 (31 lines)
From: William J Frawley <billf@brahms.udel.edu>

(1) --------------------------------------------------------------39----
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 91 08:07:38 -0400
From: William J Frawley <billf@brahms.udel.edu>
Subject: Re: 4.1220 Rs: Unix Concording; De Italia; Stoned PC; &c. (4/60)

Some comments on Lambert's and Varonis' comments on gender. I think it
is safe to say that languages have gender because it is a reflection of
a more general device that langauges have to encode and track nouns and
their structural dependents. Hence, gender systems are like the systems
of animacy markers we see in African languages, for example. In fact,
if I remember Lehman's work on Proto-Indoeuropean correctly,
Indo-European languages' gender systems derive from a PIE animacy system.

The acquisition of gender in a second language has not been studied
much, as far as I know.

But a student here at Delaware is writing a diss. on on the role of
universals of agreement in the acquisition of French as a second
language. Her name is Radmilla Vuchic (c/o Linguistics, University of
Delaware: no e-mail for her, as far as I know). Her diss. discusses
gender.

Zubin and Kopcke (spelling?) have a paper in a book edited by Collette
Craig on noun classes on the relationship between gender and
categorization. They argue, if I remember correctly, that neuter gender
tends to encode superordinates and masculine/feminine gender encodes
subordinates. If they are right, then gender, which is otherwise
semantically arbitrary for the most part, has a conceptual/semantic
motivation. this leads to an interesting question following Varonis'
query/observation: is gender in a second language difficult because of
morpho-syntactic factors, or because of the semantic/conceptual factors
associated with it? Or both?

Bill Frawley