4.1185 E-Bibles and Canonical Texts (2/48)

Wed, 27 Mar 91 23:02:47 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 4, No. 1185. Wednesday, 27 Mar 1991.

(1) Date: Thursday, 21 March 1991 2347-EST (32 lines)
From: KRAFT@PENNDRLS
Subject: Biblical and Related Texts

(2) Date: Friday, 22 March 1991 0804-EST (16 lines)
From: GROVES@PENNDRLS (Alan Groves)
Subject: Re: 4.1165.4 Bible on Disk

Date: Thursday, 21 March 1991 2347-EST
From: KRAFT@PENNDRLS

In answer to Norman Coombs, I will be very surprised if
the RSV can be obtained legally by FTP, since the text is
controlled by the National Council of Churches and they
like to know who gets the text. We are allowed to permit
people to copy it, as long as they first sign a user
agreement not to misuse it (e.g. for commercial purposes).
Thus we could theoretically set things up so that one
sends in the user agreement then gets clearance to FTP
the text, but we haven't yet made that sort of move. It is
worth thinking about. ("We" means CCAT at UPenn.)

Regarding George Aichele's interest in non-canonical gospels
(and the like), some of that material is available through
CCAT or (for the Nag Hammadi Coptic) through the Claremont
Institute. I think we have an untested text of G.Peter
somewhere. The Coptic Thomas was on the first TLG CD-ROM,
and has had some limited circulation since then (get permission
from Jim Robinson's office at Claremont), and is scheduled to
be on the next PHI CD-ROM (which may be out already; see
OFFLINE 32, which is on the HUMANIST FileServer). Other
available NTApocrypha/Pseudepigrapha texts include
3 Corinthians and Laodiceans, and there are a variety of
"Jewish Pseudepigrapha" (especially Greek and Latin) as well.
If you decide to type anything in yourself, please let us
know if you would be willing to circulate it through us (and/or
put it on the IOUDAIOS FileServer, etc.).

Bob Kraft, CCAT UPenn (etc.)